Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deco P9 + Hub 4 = help :)

Pinnick
On our wavelength

Hiya,

Recently upgraded and purchased a Deco P9 kit to go with 🙂

Not getting anywhere close to 500, never mind 940(more?) on anything. Xbox (wired) gets 400ish, PC on first floor wired from the Deco gets 250-300, then attic gets 190-250.

Any setup tips, like do I need to have the ethernet coming from the Hub 4 come out of a certain port on the back to the Deco?

Kind regards

38 REPLIES 38

@carl_pearce wrote:

Did you find the QOS settings and ensure they are turned off?

The X60 does look like good kit, however the 'blurb' does appear to state that the main node should be at the centre of the setup in your home.

I didn't, I'll look shortly, just nipped out.

So, in theory if I cable the 1st floor to the Hub 4, the one downstairs and in the attic would be stronger?

Going to look at AP mode when I get in, and ethernet backhaul the setup before I bite the bullet and return them. 

@Pinnick wrote:

@carl_pearce wrote:

The X60 does look like good kit, however the 'blurb' does appear to state that the main node should be at the centre of the setup in your home.

So, in theory if I cable the 1st floor to the Hub 4, the one downstairs and in the attic would be stronger?

Going to look at AP mode when I get in, and ethernet backhaul the setup before I bite the bullet and return them. 

Yes, looking at the info on the device the node in the middle should be the main unit.

I had a quick read and you may not be able to disable QOS, however you can at least ensure you set your internet connection speed correctly. Rather than rely on the internal speed tester I believe you can set it manually.

@carl_pearce wrote:

@Pinnick wrote:

@carl_pearce wrote:

Yes, looking at the info on the device the node in the middle should be the main unit.

I had a quick read and you may not be able to disable QOS, however you can at least ensure you set your internet connection speed correctly. Rather than rely on the internal speed tester I believe you can set it manually.

I've put it in AP mode and I'm getting 650 on the middle floor, close to double the top speed I was getting before. 

Ordered another cable and a splitter so I can send the backhaul up to the attic.

Resetting the units and getting them in AP mode was much harder than setting them up, but we're there now.

I think we're close to achieving "have a drink" status.

Also, the Xbox is now getting 1044!

@Pinnick wrote:

@carl_pearce wrote:

@Pinnick wrote:

@carl_pearce wrote:

I've put it in AP mode and I'm getting 650 on the middle floor, close to double the top speed I was getting before. 

Ordered another cable and a splitter so I can send the backhaul up to the attic.

Resetting the units and getting them in AP mode was much harder than setting them up, but we're there now.

I think we're close to achieving "have a drink" status.

Also, the Xbox is now getting 1044!

Sounds like you are getting there!

Is this with the HUB In router mode I assume?

When you say splitter have you purchased an actual powered switch to split the ethernet?

Good Morning @Pinnick, thanks for your post on our Community Forums

Do you have any updates on the connection for us today? 

Have you been able to establish if this is an issue with the third party equipment, or if you need our input for any Virgin Media related issues?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A bit late to the party, but as you seem capable of ethernet cabling for "backhaul", it may have been in hindsight, better to use PoE Access Points, like the Ubiquity range, rather than the Mesh system.  That way you get the full speed at each AP.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Pinnick
On our wavelength

@David_Bn wrote:

Good Morning @Pinnick, thanks for your post on our Community Forums

Do you have any updates on the connection for us today? 

Have you been able to establish if this is an issue with the third party equipment, or if you need our input for any Virgin Media related issues?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi David, 

We seem to be winning. Going to monitor it for a few days, then I'll report back, if that is okay?

Kind regards,

John

Pinnick
On our wavelength

@Adduxi wrote:

A bit late to the party, but as you seem capable of ethernet cabling for "backhaul", it may have been in hindsight, better to use PoE Access Points, like the Ubiquity range, rather than the Mesh system.  That way you get the full speed at each AP.

I have put 2 of the three in AP mode now, yes. The third will be a test, as I want to run a cable from the Hub to the attic, then a switch to the P9. Fingers crossed. 

Pinnick
On our wavelength

Great news.

We're cooking on gas. Thank you to the community for supporting me troubleshooting the issues.