cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deco M5 question

daveydear
Up to speed

If you are using the Hub 3 in modem mode with the Deco M5 mesh, can you change the mesh SSID and password  to what was on the hub  to save changing the ssid and passwords on all devices, hope that makes sense , cheers

7 REPLIES 7

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, this would work

Thanks 🙂

Hi again, I see it is not possible on the Deco to have separate ssid 2.4 and 5 ghz, and they automatically switch between frequencies depending on signal strength  ( band steering I think ) 

Does anyone using the Deco's know if this works seamlessly or  is it a better idea to use the guest network for just one band.

I am a novice regarding networking matters and probably looking for problems that won't arise, thanks for any input

whilst i don’t have any direct experience of the deco range, i’d expect this to work fine… some devices appear to have problems with the hub when it’s broadcasting two networks on the same ssid, but i wouldn’t expect teh same issues with the deco. 

@Sophist, thanks for the reply. Strangely enough I have just had an email from V.M saying they are merging the two networks into one. As I have two different SSID's i suppose this means I will have to reconnect all my devices, is this correct, thanks in advance

well, you could name the deco network to be one of the two names you already have… then you’ll only have to connect teh devices that were connected to the “other” network..

or, just call the new network whateveryoulike and connect everything to that new network… should only have to do it once 😉

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I like being in control of my equipment, I have always split the bands with my own equipment. The Ubiquiti access points I am now using allow for 8 SSIDs on each radio band. Good for splitting off IoT devices and lots of VLANs.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2