cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deco M5 and Virgin Hub 5

waveyed
Joining in

Hi

I bought the Deco M5 mesh WiFi and went to set it up through the app. 
I went to 192.168 etc to enable modem mode. The hub is now showing a solid green light which I understand on a hub 5 means that it is in modem mode?

The deco app says it can’t find the device and the device has a red light on it showing that there is a problem.

Any ideas or at least is there anything else from a virgin point of view that I can do.

My WiFi network VM2… has now disappeared so I can’t just go back to that and I can’t access the 192.168… page to disable modem mode and just go back to how it was.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Deco should be set up as router mode, sounds like it’s in bridge mode. You can get out of modem mode on any hub by doing a pin-hole reset. Full instructions:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green, on a Hub5 the LED will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money. On a Hub5 use port 4.

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or when VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Tudor

Thanks very much for the response. All sorted now.

Cheers

Edward

Hi,can you help me please with setting up my Decos,I've got a hub 5 and it's recently started dropping connection a lot lately I've reset it rebooted it,changed channels split wifi etc still dropping out,so I've bought some decos and I'm wanting to set them up using my existing ssid and password as I have cctv cameras etc and it will be difficult to do quickly otherwise, I tried earlier and although I'd put my router into modem mode  and deco set up light was blue to start setting up adding devices etc when I'd finished my cameras, tablet and doorbell(ring) didn't connect, I don't know if it's because I'm trying to keep my virgin ssid and password, the reason I say that is when the deco app asked me to create a network I just put the same ssid and password details in,hopefully you can help me if your not too busy,tia

Hi Tia
To be honest I ended up doing an online chat with Deco. I was online with them for over 3 hours but eventually got it working. 
They just told me what to do and tried different things so I don’t know what they did in the end that got it to work. 
It might be worth doing that as they were actually pretty helpful.

Cheers

Edward

HI Waveyed 👋 welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear about the issues with your VM hub working with your Deco M5. Sadly as this is 3rd party equipment we are unable to offer support with this. 

However, really glad to hear Deco were able to help get it sorted for you! Thank you for returning to the thread to share your experience and offer advice to other customers who may be experiencing the same issue! 
Please do let us know if there is anything outstanding you need our help with. 

All the best. 🌞

Molly