Menu
Joebell323
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Damaged green box cable, horrible wifi

We moved to a new house about 7 weeks ago and we got our internet and tv installed shortly after. The engineer that came out said there was a damaged cable in the green box down the road that meant that the wifi signal would be poor, he wouldn't be able to install the phone line but it would get fixed within 2 weeks. So far it hasn't been repaired and the wifi signal has been degrading pretty much every step you take away from the router and past a certain point, it's either far too bad to even use or just non-existent. 

Since the new router was installed I've been using a mobile hotspot to use the internet since my room is past the point of being able to use what signal reaches my computer. I've tried changing the channels on the router to cut out signal overlap from other houses but that doesn't change anything at all. Is there any word of when this cable is going to be repaired?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Damaged green box cable, horrible wifi

The cable being fixed has nothing to do with wifi range, you will always have a black spot in your room unless you get a wifi booster from virgin or the likes of amazon

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Joebell323

Welcome to our community forum pages and thank you for posting.

We are sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues with your WiFi connection since your services were installed. We appreciate that this must be frustrating.

Have you downloaded our WiFi Connect APP?

This will help to optimise your home WiFi reception, scan for blackspots and offer tips on how to get the most out of your WiFi connection. 

Full details on the APP are available here

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Joebell323
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thing is we were told by the engineer that the damaged cable would affect our signal strength, black spots might contribute but as I said even in the next room over the signal degrades way too much.

By the way do you know of any wifi boosters from virgin? I'm interested in getting one since I've gone 7 weeks without mobile hotspot internet, which can only really go so far.
0 Kudos
Joebell323
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My mum actually tried this, past a certain point half way up stairs the connection suddenly drops from excellent to poor. Going into my room it fluctuates from poor to basically non-existent. We tried it in every room in the house and since the kitchen is right below my room the signal doesn't reach.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Joebell323 wrote:
My mum actually tried this, past a certain point half way up stairs the connection suddenly drops from excellent to poor. Going into my room it fluctuates from poor to basically non-existent. We tried it in every room in the house and since the kitchen is right below my room the signal doesn't reach.

And you think this is caused by damage to the green box

Dr. John O'Sullivan would strongly disagree

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

To check whether there is a problem with the VM service you are getting from the "green box" , you need to connect a gigabit enabled (NOT a 10/100 one) pc or laptop by Cat5e/6 ethernet cable directly to your Hub which you have put into modem mode - you should test and see speeds in excess of whatever your package is i.e. - 100/200/350 mbps. If you do then there is no issue and you just need to sort your poor wifi out.
If you dont get good speeds - post back here so we can suggest other things to try.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update Joebell323.

It does sound like that you need boosters Joebell323. Did the connect app recommend that you need boosters, if it located blackspots within your home? If you're on our full house package and above, you will get boosters for free, if not there would be a monthly charge of £3, if you choose to get them from us.

Thanks

Steven_L

0 Kudos
gcarter
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Green box.png 2019-05-21 20-45-00.png

0 Kudos