cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damaged Fibre Cable

Dave403
Joining in

Good morning,

Just found out the Fibre cable was not buried very deep (less than 5cm) I've booked a technician to come out this week, but will he be able to re-run a cable or does this need a different team?

Regards

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In 95% of cases, if this is the drop cable from the cabinet to your house it is not fibre, it’s copper coax. If there is enough slack the cable the tech will fit a gel-pack joint & bury it. If there proves to be not enough slack then the repull contractors will have to be called in to renew the drop to the cabinet.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In 95% of cases, if this is the drop cable from the cabinet to your house it is not fibre, it’s copper coax. If there is enough slack the cable the tech will fit a gel-pack joint & bury it. If there proves to be not enough slack then the repull contractors will have to be called in to renew the drop to the cabinet.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the response, I have a feeling it will be a re-pull as it's right by the connection at the pavement onto my property. 

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Dave403, thanks for your post here in the community and I'm sorry to hear of your concerns.
I know you've already been provided with an update on this matter, but I just want to state that at the first point of contact on the customer service line, we must book a standard technician visit in who (if they can't fix the problem), will be able to assess the severity of the situation and escalate it accordingly.

Can you please confirm if you require any further help, or have you now got all the information that you need?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hello Tom, 

It seems silly that if a customer can state an obvious problem like a cable being damaged beyond repair that this should save that initial visit and the correct team is sent out?

If the team who installed the Virgin cable has buried it to the standard depth of 450mm then I would not have had the problem but we are where we are. I now have to wait for a cable team to come out (with no ETA on this as I am told they are not a customer facing team)

What worries me is, the cable team will come out and lay a new cable but not be able to terminate it, where I will then have to wait for 3 + hrs for customer service to respond to me and book another technician visit. 

Regards

Dave

You are mistaken in believing that there is a standard depth of the coaxial cables. Much of the cabling is decades old, having been installed by the many cable companies which were predecessors of VM. In some cases the cables, not even enclosed in conduits, just lie on the bare ground.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection