cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Network Dropout's

mburke78
On our wavelength

I have had daily dropouts for a couple of months now and poor wifi for years.  The wifi is truly awful and coverage is poor in a normal 3 bedroom house that doesn't have thick walls.  The issues I have had recently is dropout's and this is both through Wifi and Ethernet.  Checking the router I get the below (I have removed the MAC address).  I get daily dropouts and sometimes several on one day.  Checked and it says there are no issues either on my line or the local area and I have rebooted the router.  Any help much appreciated.

Network Log

Time Priority Description

19/06/2021 09:08:27noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 00:01:39criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
18/06/2021 18:59:29noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 00:01:40criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/06/2021 06:50:48ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/06/2021 01:08:16criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
10/06/2021 14:12:2ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 00:01:39criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
05/06/2021 10:29:33ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 00:01:40criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
29/05/2021 19:46:51Warning!LAN login FAILED : Incorrect Username / Password / ConnectionType;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
29/05/2021 19:40:37noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
29/05/2021 00:45:9criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/05/2021 19:26:6ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
25/05/2021 20:46:57criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
25/05/2021 07:26:6ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
25/05/2021 01:01:54Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/05/2021 10:56:58criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
21/05/2021 19:26:6ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
50 REPLIES 50

mburke78
On our wavelength

David, hi I logged in and there is an appointment today between 1-6pm today.  I don't know what this is for.  Is someone coming to my home or is this something else?

It appears this is a re-visit as the 1st appointment was seemingly unsuccessful.

We would therefore expect a member of our team to be visiting your property within this time slot today

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

mburke78
On our wavelength

Ok I had a site visit.  A couple of things irked me.  The engineer said I'm on 100Mbps and had 20 connected devices and it could be the amount of devices I had connected and 100Mbps wasn't enough.  Please stop with this rubbish.  I imagine a modern family of 4 have this amount of devices at home.  Not all the devices are connected at once or on all the time.  I have consoles and they are all switched off.  My son has an Apple watch and iPads that again aren't on or in sleep mode.  It was almost being told all these devices are using gigs of data all the time.  I said most of the devices are things like Google home which I said was low bandwidth.  I've check and on average it uses 20MB per day.  

Please don't tell me 100Mbps connection isn't adequate when it is.  Next I'm told power lines aren't great.  Again utter rubbish as they work just fine.  

I have to be honest I get cheesed off when companies just fling any reason at you as they have no clue what the issue is so let's blame the customers setup.  I have been told there is noise on the line at the cabinet which I can't comment on but find head scratching that someone else's device can cause issues.  Surely there should be shielding for this type of issue.  Really not impressed Virgin.  Been told the issue has a fix date on the 7th which I will wait until but overall this has really got my back up.

And can I just say all this about how many devices I have or the speed is completely irrelevant as it's packet loss on the router which I showed him on the monitor I setup and is external so takes out my setup out of the equation.

@mburke78 wrote:

And can I just say all this about how many devices I have or the speed is completely irrelevant as it's packet loss on the router which I showed him on the monitor I setup and is external so takes out my setup out of the equation.

Exactly it!! It's the ones that tell you a speed increase (and a higher bill) will solve a crappy connection from the CMTS to the Hub.

Stuff like that destroys trust!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

@lotharmat wrote:

@mburke78 wrote:

Exactly it!! It's the ones that tell you a speed increase (and a higher bill) will solve a crappy connection from the CMTS to the Hub.

Stuff like that destroys trust!

You are right.  It does destroy any trust when companies try and pull this type of BS.  It is a massive pet peeve of mine that someone comes around and starts to pick faults in your home setup.  The issues I am having are external which is clear from the monitoring tool I setup so has zero to do with my sons ipad or my powerline. 

Virgin want me to up my connection at a cost as supposedly Virgin's 100Mbps isn't capable of having 20 devices connected to it (not all at the same time) and suggested a Mesh and I was also told that Virgin routers can only connect to one wireless device at a time (what?).  I'm really stunned as this guy was a senior from what I gather.  I should also point out that I was an IT Engineer for over 17 years so am not completely ignorant.  

Can someone at Virgin also tell me if this is true as the example I was given that a little old lady can turn her TV on and cause noise on the line causing everyone else's line to drop at the exchange.  If true I really find this absurd that there is no shielding to protect this type of issue.  

I also want to be kept up to date on the supposed issue with noise found.  I work 100% from home as does my wife so this isn't acceptable for our connections to drop everyday.  I would like this dealt with promptly otherwise I'm taking this up the ladder at Virgin as you have lost my trust with this.   

Noise ingress in DOCSIS circuits can be a massive problem!

There have been a quite a few anecdotes that people replacing their coax with crappy, longer ones have caused massive noise problems for others on the same segment.

I'd have thought it not really possible for LoL to turn her TV on and cause a massive problem.

If found the best way to deal with those kind of BS's (if you're not totally ignorant about the subject) is to ask them 'exactly' how that would occur - ie. how exactly will LoL switching her TV on cause the impact you have described.

I'm with you - it makes me pretty cross!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

A VM engineer should go and inspect the external cable condition and also inspect the junction box into the property.  If they want to be efficient, they should connect their signal test measurement device to this cable to ensure signal quality is good upto that point.

Next after inspecting the cables coming into the property and to the VM devices to check for dodgy install / cables etc. before again testing the signal at the router location.  This should rule out signal quality issues at the time of testing.  However if an earlier engineer has already done this, there's little benefit from each subsequent engineer going over the same ground.

Its funny with VM staff dishing out BS, I recently got that from a VM cold calling sales call (I am out of contract).  I explained I didn't need any upgrade, just better stability to connectivity.  I was told by the VM caller that upgrading to a higher broadband speed will fix my connectivity issues.  I had to tell her, no your are wrong and shouldn't be telling people that.  She sounded like that took her by surprise.

I agree, you need to call out to those that speak nonsense and see how they stand their ground.  But I am not sure its a VM epidemic / policy to BS, but like any human we might hear things that we don't understand and take what was once said to them as gospel, and they just preach the same misinformation.

It actually boils down to lack of education/training on VM side to their staff and empower them with the knowledge.  Unfortunately from my experience I don't think that is an investment area that is important to VM.

Just to at their customer commitment policies on compensation scheme, they are not confident in their network quality. By definition you need to have total loss of service after reporting it to them after 2 working days.  Total loss doesn't mean disconnections through out the day (they don't pay for intermittent service), they mean 24 hours no service.  Now that does not sound like a company who pride themselves on continuous uninterrupted service, that is a company who realistically knows you will get drop outs, and to get 24 hours total loss is slim to never.

I rest my case with VM and their customer commitment.  If VM is your only option of High Speed internet then you're pretty much stuck, but if you have there options there is no harm is looking to see if that might better serve you.  Something to think about.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mburke78,

Thank you for getting back to us about this issue, and I'm sorry to hear that this has been your experience with the technician visit. 

After looking into your account, I can see that an area outage has been raised. This is scheduled to be finished at 6pm on 02/07/21.

Please keep an eye on your connection and reboot your equipment around the time that the outage is set to be resolved. This can help clear any issues on the line. Hopefully this outage can resolve your ongoing issues.

Please keep us updated on your connection later on in the day, so we can run some further tests.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Paulina, if there is an outage then it's not affecting me as my connection is up.  I was told a noise on the line issue was identified with a p4 priority fix due on the 7th.  Is this the case?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mburke78,

Thank you for getting back to me about this issue.

I have taken another look at the account, and I can see that you are correct. There is an SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) Outage that is due to be finished by 07/07/21  at 12:10.

There can be two area issues happening at the same time in the area and it might be that the previous Outage that I noted has already been resolved.

Please keep me updated on your connection and how you're getting on, so we can run some further tests once the outage is resolved.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs