cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS cache issue updated domain

Bunglenick
Tuning in
I have recently moved my website to a new host and updated the name servers of my domain to point to the new servers my site is on.
I have done a DNS check and the propagation process is completed WORLDWIDE.

That is, apart from with VM's DNS servers.
They still point to the old site on the old host.
Which I need to delete ASAP.

How can I fix this issue?
Doing a quick Google search shows this is a copy issue with no real solution.
Am I just stuck like this forever? Will half the country looking at an old site that can't be updated and my new site going to waste?

If so, how do I take VM to court for loss of earnings due to unfair censorship of my site?
73 REPLIES 73

So is a low or high TTL best?

@AngelBarracks wrote:

So is a low or high TTL best?

I low TTL can be bad so 60 seconds and up is fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just been on the phone to VM.

They say they do DNS updates every 15 minutes...

Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

First they tried to insist it was a hardware issue and they would send an engineer.
Then they said I have blocked myself from my site.
Then they said they have updated the DNS to point at the new site and it would work in 15 minutes.
We waited 15 minutes and still unable to access the site via VM.

Then I asked how they knew all this without asking what site I had moved and was unable to access...

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AngelBarracks

If you are not going to listen to what people on here are telling you then I give up.  However, I will try and explain one last time.

I have a DNS server of my own - I understand how they work.  I'll come to 1st line supports advice later.

ALL PUBLIC DNS SERVERS CACHE THEIR RESULTS.

How long the result is cached for is not set by Virgin, it is set by the domain owner and is published in the DNS record as the TTL entry.  If you'd have bothered to do the test I indicated with Windows Powershell you'd already know how long the cache will hold the entry for.

If you try a different DNS server it will, assuming it hasn't tried collecting the record before, will query the master record, and then it will cache it for the amount of time indicated in the DNS records TTL.  This gives the impression that the second DNS server is working differently, when in fact it is not.

If you want to tell us what the site address is - we'll try it from here and tell you what we get.

Virgin 1st line support Do not understand many aspects of IT.

First line support is trained to deal with common issues relating to a broadband connection.  They know how to do the tests that determine whether the connection is working or not, and how to book technician visits.

Beyond that their IT knowledge is inadequate.  Two notable replies that I have had in the past.

• What's ping.
  • You can't connect to our email server because the mobile network is busy - This was despite the fact that I was connected but the server was refusing to let me authenticate.

To make it clear.  The only time VM would refresh a cached DNS entry at 15 minutes is when the DOMAIN OWNER sets that refresh time in the DNS.

@ModTeam - Can you feed back to 1st line support.  If they don't know the answer to a question - STOP MAKING THEM UP!!  Bad advice is worse than no advice.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

"If you'd have bothered to do the test I indicated with Windows Powershell you'd already know how long the cache will hold the entry for."

I have bothered to do it, did it several times.

ip ttl.PNG

They tried telling me I had blocked my own IP.
Which is incorrect, I am on the whitelist on my server, my IP is not blocked, not been banned for any bruteforce issues, I am totally ok IP wise.
And I can access my site via this IP with open DNS.

They told me it was a wireless thing and that it would work via an ethernet cable.
I tried, it did not.
They said to move the cable from one port in the superhub to another and it would work.
I did, and it did not.
They said they would re-set it all and it would work.
They did that, I waited, it did not.

The call ended with them saying they would do some changes and it is guaranteed to work in 24 hours.
And that they would call me back to check tomorrow.

My issue is that as a paying customer of VM I can not access my site or get my e-mails unless I use a different ISP or Open DNS.
Bottom line I can't use VM to view my site or access e-mails.
Other people on other ISPs can.
I can on other ISPs.
I can with a different DNS.

I don't pay VM for their methods, I pay for their results and right now they are not delivering.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm assuming that you still have OpenDNS as your DNS server as that result would actually appear to be correct

PS C:\Users\timdu> resolve-DnsName angelbarracks.co.uk

Name                                           Type   TTL   Section    IPAddress
----                                           ----   ---   -------    ---------
angelbarracks.co.uk                            A      3590  Answer     151.236.47.75

PS C:\Users\timdu> resolve-DnsName -Server 8.8.8.8 angelbarracks.co.uk

Name                                           Type   TTL   Section    IPAddress
----                                           ----   ---   -------    ---------
angelbarracks.co.uk                            A      3599  Answer     151.236.47.75

The above was tested with the default (currently Virgin Media) and Google's public DNS

Which matches your result.

Here's the website

angelsite.PNG

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

So why can't I see it on my VM dns?

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I suspect because Virgin's still picking up the old parent nameservers, you see they have a TTL too

Heres what I see when I look for the nameservers for your domain.

PS C:\Users\timdu> Resolve-DnsName -server 194.168.4.100 -Type ns angelbarracks.co.uk

Name                           Type   TTL   Section    NameHost
----                           ----   ---   -------    --------
angelbarracks.co.uk            NS     3600  Answer     ns2.heartinternet.uk
angelbarracks.co.uk            NS     3600  Answer     ns.heartinternet.uk

Name       : ns.heartinternet.uk
QueryType  : A
TTL        : 296
Section    : Additional
IP4Address : 79.170.40.2

Name       : ns2.heartinternet.uk
QueryType  : A
TTL        : 272
Section    : Additional
IP4Address : 79.170.43.3

Run the command above and post the results.

Tim

Edit BTW You can drag out a highlight in the Powershell window and press Enter to copy the text to the clipboard.

I keep getting an error?

PS C:\Users\micha> Resolve-DnsName -server 194.168.4.100 -Type ns angelbarracks.co.uk
Resolve-DnsName : angelbarracks.co.uk : DNS server failure
At line:1 char:1
+ Resolve-DnsName -server 194.168.4.100 -Type ns angelbarracks.co.uk
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (angelbarracks.co.uk:String) [Resolve-DnsName], Win32Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE,Microsoft.DnsClient.Commands.ResolveDnsName

Maybe websafe/virussafe has something to do with the error try dns 194.168.4.123

---------------------------------------------------------------