cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS cache issue updated domain

Bunglenick
Tuning in
I have recently moved my website to a new host and updated the name servers of my domain to point to the new servers my site is on.
I have done a DNS check and the propagation process is completed WORLDWIDE.

That is, apart from with VM's DNS servers.
They still point to the old site on the old host.
Which I need to delete ASAP.

How can I fix this issue?
Doing a quick Google search shows this is a copy issue with no real solution.
Am I just stuck like this forever? Will half the country looking at an old site that can't be updated and my new site going to waste?

If so, how do I take VM to court for loss of earnings due to unfair censorship of my site?
73 REPLIES 73

Drewley
Up to speed
The DNS records for your domain may not be updated until the TTL (time to live) counter has expired.

TTL is the value that determines how long your current DNS settings are cached with Internet Service Providers. What that means for you: In practice, if your Internet Service Provider has the current IP address for your website cached for 24 hours, it won't bother checking for a DNS update for your domain until that 24 hours has passed even if you made a DNS change for that domain 5 minutes ago.

Well it's been well over 24 hours and the virgin media DNS is still pointing at the wrong up address.
Every other ISP in the world seems to updated apart from VM.
And before you say, I've cleared my browser cache and history so I'm not getting a version of the site that's cached on my system.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have the URL.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Http://procommskills.com
When you check the blog out the most recent post should be about a GP Receptionist Communication Course.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ok I've done two digs - The first is over he.nets DNS

C:\Users\timdu>dig procommskills.com

; <<>> DiG 9.11.0-P3 <<>> procommskills.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 24316
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;procommskills.com.             IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
procommskills.com.      14347   IN      A       77.104.180.201

;; Query time: 21 msec
;; SERVER: 2001:470:20::2#53(2001:470:20::2)
;; WHEN: Wed Jul 12 09:05:20 GMT Summer Time 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 62

The second is over Virgin Media's DNS

C:\Users\timdu>dig -4 procommskills.com

; <<>> DiG 9.11.0-P3 <<>> -4 procommskills.com
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 53304

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
procommskills.com.      14400   IN      A       77.104.180.201

;; Query time: 143 msec
;; SERVER: 194.168.4.100#53(194.168.4.100)
;; WHEN: Wed Jul 12 09:05:32 GMT Summer Time 2017

So for me Virgin's DNS has updated.

Have you checked directly using DIG or NSLOOKUP to see what results you get?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I did a DNS lookup and it showed it had updated in every country on the list but when I load the page on VM and when I get a family member to check on their VM connection, we both get the old site.

When I check on my phone using 4G I get the new site, when I turn WiFi back on, I get the old site.

It's very frustrating. And as VM us one of the biggest ISP's in the UK, will be costing me business. I'm loosing money because of VM's slow TTL.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Post the current results please?

Also have you tried clearing your DNS cache?

Tim

Yes, I have cleared my DNS cache on macOS through the command line, I have cleared my browser cache and I have reset my router.

When I connect to the internet though a VPN I get the right version of the site, when I connect the laptop to the internet by teathering to my 4G mobile phone connection (through Three) I get the right version of the site.

Here are screenshots of the DNS lookup I ran...

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 10.27.19.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-12 at 10.30.40.png

You can see that the IP address is correct when checking multipal servers accorss the planet, but when I use ta firefox addon to check the IP and DNS information while using VM internet connection, I get the old site on the old IP address. 

So what do I have to do to get VM to fix their DNS?

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I don't use web based tools to check DNS - I get down and dirty with nslookup, and DIG.

So lets look at the issue in stages.

1. Virgin's DNS servers are ANYCAST, which means that although everyone uses the same IP, not everyone uses the same server.  Instead they are served from a cache that's local to their area.

2. Checking with DIG on 194.168.4.100 (Virgin's Primary DNS) - I get the result you expect.

C:\Users\timdu>dig @194.168.4.100 procommskills.com

; <<>> DiG 9.11.0-P3 <<>> @194.168.4.100 procommskills.com
; (1 server found)
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 52849

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
procommskills.com.      4304    IN      A       77.104.180.201

;; Query time: 17 msec
;; SERVER: 194.168.4.100#53(194.168.4.100)
;; WHEN: Wed Jul 12 11:53:48 GMT Summer Time 2017

So your assertion that half the country is looking at the wrong version of your site is incorrect.  Although based on what you are seeing, the portion using the DNS cache local to you may well be.

Shutting down my v6 tunnel to make sure I can only use v4 DNS which goes back to Virgin's servers and checking with Firefox and show IP

prcomm.jpg

Now normally if you want a speedy response I'd say call faults on 151 - HOWEVER, this is probably beyond their remit, so I would suggest we wait for the Forum Team to get to this thread, although it can take them several days to do so. 😞

Chances are that your local cache will have updated by then, however if by chance it hasn't they will be able to escalate it to networks for investigation.

If you do want to try ringing in please feel free to do so though, but update the thread if you do get a resolution.

Tim