cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP problem on hub 5

jonnyemma0
Joining in

I recently upgraded to 1GB broadband and got the new Hub 5.  Everything was working fine for a couple of weeks until all of a sudden a bunch of my devices dropped off the wifi and would not reconnect.  They are unable to get an IP address from the dhcp server on the router. 

I have performed three full factory resets and this doesn't resolve the problem.  I called Virgin media today only to be transferred about a bunch of people who don't know the first thing about networking.  I got sent a link to my phone which apparently gives help but of course it doesn't.  

Can anyone shed any light on what might be the problem here.  I am convinced a new router is needed because if the issue still exists after a factory reset then something must be wrong with the router itself.  I do have a lot of devices, probably about 45, and currently about 15 can connect to the wifi, on both bands, but the rest cannot.  

Types of decices that cannot connect are Amazon Echo, Google Nest thermostat and Google Nest Protect smoke alarms, different brands of smart plugs and smart sockets.  A couple of tablets.  

Any device I try to connect it says there is an ip problem and to restart the router.  Incidentally, I also cannot access the dhcp settings page on my router, it just spins forever.  

11 REPLIES 11

ViperSP
Tuning in

hi it seems your poor router is over worked. my advice - invest in a separate router and switch hub 5 to modem mode or bridge mode. i know this doesnt solve your immediate issue but in the long run it will as you can daisy chain the routers into a mesh system throughout your house.

Asus brand are very good networking routers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hub 5s are only marginally better than previous iterations.
Still better than a 3. It's best to attach a decent router.
My TP-Link has a quad core so can handle as many connections as I throw at it.

carl_pearce
Community elder

There was a recent thread where a heater system caused devices to no longer be allocated an IP address.

Sounds unlikely, however it may be worth unplugging any wired (Ethernet) devices to see if the issue persists.

jonnyemma0
Joining in

I have figured out the problem.  Many of my smart devices around the home require 2.4ghz network but the hub was running in single combined mode or 2.4 and 5ghz with single ssid.  I split out the networks by providing each with a unique ssid and now the problem is solved.  I would imagine I am still close to the limit of what the hub can handle in terms of connections regardless of what network I connect devices too but two days since the change and the problem hasn't recurred.  

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Whilst you have fixed the issue, lets hope you never need to use the VM Pods, as these need the single SSID and the "Intelligent" wifi on.

I would agree about Modem mode and your own networking kit, as I've never used any of the VM Hubs as Routers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey @jonnyemma0 thanks for the reply.

I'm glad to hear this issue has been resolved.
Reach out to us if you have any other queries, we'll be here to assist.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Same issue for me. I have around 26 devices connected now and all of a sudden stop issuing DHCP addresses.  Is this too much for the Hub 5.  I do have a spare eero router - Would I be better putting the hub 5 in modem mode and using the eero for my smart home devices. I dont really want to split up the 2.4 and 5G bands unless I have too.  Many thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Always best to put VM hubs into modem mode, they all seem to very will like that. I have never run in router mode.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks  Tudor.   I've now setup VM Hub in modem mode and have Eero router for WIFI - Much more stable and no DHCP issues.