Menu
Rollo316
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

D link router

Hi looking for some advice.  I upgraded my super hub 3 to d link exo 2660. My speeds using d link are underwhelming, I get average 150mb in the same room as the router and around 80-100mb when I’m upstairs.  I decided to switch back to the super hub 3 and my speeds are far better.  I get around 350mb when I’m downstairs and 200mb upstairs.  I bought this d link because from whet I read it would give me better signal strength through my house.  Has anyone else had any issues using third party routers ?.  I have tried using my d link router with my super hub in modem mode and router mode with WiFi switched off, I noticed I get better speeds when it was on router mode.  Any suggestions how I can fix my d link ? 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: D link router

Different WAN IP if you double NAT test the hub in router mode with your router and connect to the d link wifi and is fine thiers your answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Rollo316
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

OK so if i understand what yiur saying, I should test my speeds again with my d link and suoerhub 3 on router mode with WiFi turned on ??

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Rollo316 wrote:

OK so if i understand what yiur saying, I should test my speeds again with my d link and suoerhub 3 on router mode with WiFi turned on ??

you can do it like that.

If it is the WAN IP your on when in modem mode with your router some how being slow you can connect a PC to the hub in modem mode do a speed test if good then copy the MAC to your router.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What wired speeds do you get from the d-link?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Rollo316
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Right so I've turned my laptop into modem mode and tried a speed test direct through my laptop im getting speeds around 60-80mbs !

0 Kudos
Rollo316
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I get roughly same speeds as my WiFi, around 150.  I just want to add that I tried speediest with my laptop directly into the router in modem mode.  My speeds were 80mb 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

80 is a suspicious number - usually meaning that something is limiting your ethernet connection. That;s often a failed or a Cat5 cable - try a new Cat5e/6 one. Or the laptop's ethernet port is a 10/100 one or throttled to that in the settings take a look what it is "set to" - maybe check the drivers are up to date too.

Finally try it when booted into safe + networking mode. If speeds increase - then some software/app/etc on the lappy is throttling it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Rollo316
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I only get these speeds when my suoerhubs turned onto modem mode.  Its as if modem mode is broken on my hub 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What was the out come of the double NAT speed test? PC to D-link router, D-link router WAN to hub in router mode?
0 Kudos