cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious DNS

col8eral
Tuning in

I have set my DNS to to cloudfare servers. Yet curiously I still get a Virgin webpage on a website that Virgin doesnt want me to visit.

This is strange if I am not using virgin DNS how would this happen. Does Virgin hijack my DNS queries. Surely not that would be wrong.

Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

sophist
Trouble shooter

Suspect that in addition to (probably) managing these blocks by dns (for those vm users that use vm’s dns servers) they are also implementing IP blocks.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
VM can do content filtering by HTTP and HTTPS without changing DNS with HTTP you get redirected to https://assets.virginmedia.com/site-blocked.html by HTTPS sent an invalid response.

With both HTTP and HTTPS as the connection builds up the web site you want to go to is in the clear.

---------------------------------------------------------------

It’s not a case of VM not wanting you to visit certain websites, (I very much doubt they care what you view as long as they are getting paid) but they do need to obey court orders to block certain domains (Piratebay.org anyone)?

And these will be at the IP level so nothing to do with whatever DNS server you have configured.