cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous Issues

jasmine_london
Joining in

Continued issues with virgin media wifi since I joined. 

Can't get fast enough wifi in my flat. My bedroom is next door to the router and I only get 11.7 MPBS download speed - working from home has become impossible. Called up last week (17th Feb)  and was told there was a major issue in the area, and it had just been downgraded to a minor fault. I was informed it should be resolved by 24th Feb. not ideal but good to at least know what's going on. mentioned multiple times in the call I'm not getting my guaranteed speed. Was told by a member of staff on the phone that I would be able to get an extension to my grace period, but it would be subject to manager's approval and best to call back Monday. But that the issues would be noted on my file and I wouldn't need to explain myself (how I wish this was true) 

Called again on the  Monday 21st Feb to ask for an update as the issue seemed to have got worse. Response from Virgin media support team seemed to be to send me back and forth 5 times between departments. Staff member 1 in the fault team transferred me somewhere- then staff member 2   sent me back to the fault team  (someone new)- right after I said I had just come from there.  Staff member 3 then told me they were creating the email to send me to confirm the extension of my grace period - and then just transferred me  to another staff member whilst I was waiting for the email to come through. Staff member 4 then told me the same thing - that they would send me the email, I agreed to stay on the line. Instead they sent me a generic email with a link to checking the status of wifi in my area (I'd already done this before I tried calling the first time.) I was understandable getting frustrated (despite being told they were adding notes to my file - I had to explain myself everytime.) Staff member 4 then offered to transfer me to someone else - I refused and insisted on speaking to a manager. I was then told by this manager (staff member 5) that an extension to my grace period is not possible. So despite 3 different staff members telling me this I was told something else. I explained this is what I had been promised - because so far I haven't even experienced the wifi to know if what I'm signing up for is any good. The best Staff member 5 could do was set up an appointment for the afternoon of the 24th Feb so once the issue in the area is resolved, they can come and check our apartment out to see if there is an internal issue. I agreed to this. I was then offered one month's compensation for the poor service I experienced that day. I was also told by the manager that when I called up on the 17th an ofcom speed complaint had not been registered- but he could do it now - so essentially resetting the clock on the 30 days as the original call seemed to have been useless. 

Today is the 24th - my technician should have been here between 12pm-4pm. They have not arrived. I have called customer service again who have now told me they have no access to see fault information (bit weird as every other member of staff has been able to). I was then informed by this member of staff. I asked when I should expect a technician and the answer was ' I don't know' but they will call you within an hour (we'll see...) . I then asked about the missed appointment credit - seemed to confuse this staff member at first but they've told me it will be applied to my next bill. 

I've asked multiple staff members to email me so I can have some things in writing - and so I can have just one point of contact. Honestly, I'm posting this just to have a paper trail because it feels like I'm being fobbed off to someone else every time I call. I just want the wifi speed I'm guaranteed. 

Any tips on getting through to virgin media customer service for actual human empathy and responses would be appreciated. 

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

First off - you might not want to hear this, but...

No broadband provider guarantees WiFi speed. You're supplied with a broadband connection and a free router. Separately, VM's routers are not famed for their wireless performance and you're often better off sourcing your own. But...

What speeds do you get over Ethernet cabled connections? That's the only way your speeds come with any guarantees.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@japitts That's really interesting re: guaranteed speeds. My M200 contract says I'm guaranteed 107mbps download speed. I'll have to read my contract closer to check on the ethernet catch- sounds like that might be it. Ethernet is fine but I can't get wifi if I take 2 steps outside the living room (with the door open and it still in my line of sight (not sure if that makes any difference 

Looks like I'll be better off leaving during my grace period at this rate. Appreciate your comment. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can read about the speed guarantee here - tests are based on the speed VM supply to your hub, not even wired onward connections.

Have you tried running any WiFi analysers such as inSSIDer or similar? Wireless has multiple variables that can affect performance, many of which Virgin have no control over.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Do some WiFi troubleshooting and housekeeping 

• split the bands and try 5GHz only when in same or adjacent room
  • use a free WiFi analyser - see if you’re clashing with your neighbours WiFi 
  • try changing channels (1,6 or 11 on 2.4GHz)

As said, speed guarantee applies to wired, not wireless.  Wireless (WiFi) is very much dependent on your environment.  That said WiFi can often be improved with some simple steps.  

VM are not going to come round and do that for you.

You may get the same with other providers though some wireless equipment (more expensive) can be better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

@jasmine_london wrote:

<snip>

Looks like I'll be better off leaving during my grace period at this rate. Appreciate your comment. 

Alternatively, (if you are actually getting the advertised speeds from VM via wired) consider putting the VM hub into modem mode and get your own superior wi-fi kit. That's what many/most people do on here to bypass the common wi-fi issues with VM's hubs.