cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continual disconnection

Grace352
Joining in

I am working from home and once again onto virgin to help.  I decided to stay with virgin as it guaranteed a good speed.  However the speeds appear to keep dropping which disconnects my work lap top.  I have to continually restart my system which is not great if you are on a Skype call taking to. Customer or in a meeting.  Also nit good when I am in the middle of a spreadsheet etc etc etc.  I also have the virgin booster which also is no help.

i have been complaining about this for months and was told there was nothing wrong.  I also have a message on my phone that tells me weak security which virgin said means nothing.  Today I was advised that there were speed drop out problems in my area and would be fixed within 48 hours which still does not explain that this has been happening for months

does anyone else have this issue

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What Hub model is it and what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

Also do a quick check for that known issue... use the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)..... BUT - also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is this wired or wireless connections? You may have to split your SSID and switch off all WiFi optimisations. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi this is the WiFi connection but all my other stuff iphone,iPad, amazon and hive do not drop out at all.

i have hub 3 and my hub is in the living room and I wire in upstairs bedroom hence the boosters.  However I have today moved my lap top down into my living room which is not ideal, and I have the same issue working away then my system disconnects and I have to restart.  

I have other colleagues who also use virgin in the same circumstances who do not have this issue.  I have also had my lap top checked out at work and it has no issues it is set up the same as the others who do not have this disconnect issue 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If the Hub and laptop are both in the living room, use an ethernet cable to connect them together directly and see how that performs.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Grace352,

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see you are having issues with your disconnection.

I located your account using your forums details, I can not see any known errors on the system. I did see that one device is being affected which could be causing the drop in speeds. Can you delete all devices from the network and connect the devices one by one? See why one drops the connection? 

Also please let me know how your work equipment is on the wired connection.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

@Grace352  Intermittent speeds and dropouts on video calls can often be caused by latency or packet loss problems.  If you're unfamiliar with the terms you don't need to know what they mean, but you can check for problems as follows. Setup a Broadband Quality Monitor and then use the links on that web site to generate a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph.  Post the link here and we'll see if there's problems revealed.  That business about sharing a live link is important - if you just post the web address of your logged-in view it won't work for anybody else.  A BQM usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post a link immediately you have set it up.

I connect my laptop with an ethernet cable and it seems to work better does disconnect but reconnects without me having to shut dow and log back in.  I just need to get a really really long Ethernet cable to connect up the stairs so that I don’t have to work in my living room on a coffee table.  Definitely not ideal but it works

It appear that WiFi alone is not enough even with the boosters

thank you for your help

grace