cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant red light on Hub3

tracybains
Joining in

Our Hub3 has showed a constant red light for the last 3-4 months. Sometimes connection is lost too. I’ve called and spoken to VM who tell me their tests show there is an interference surrounding the hub but if they send an engineer out then it may cost us £75 if the engineer seems the interference as our fault. The Hub is in the same place as it was 4 years ago - nothing has changed. But for VM to tell us we may get charged for it is simply disgraceful. Also VM say that 17 devices have been logging on for the last 3 mths. It’s only my husband and I who live here - occasionally my daughter and son visit. But 17 devices?! I have no idea who or what they could be. Any help would be much appreciated because I’ve told them today I’m looking at other providers and will leave them because the service is atrocious. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello tracybains,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with red light on the Hub.
I'd like to take a look into this for you.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 

In the meantime, can you please make sure the Hub is well ventilated and away form any direct heat source. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ignore anything offshore CS may tell you.

Red light is a signal that the Hub may be overheating - it probably isnt and just due to some other fault - but to be sure just turn it off and unplug it when you are out ot=r asleep.

I will flag for a VM person to advise.

I suspect the connection problems are due to something else - so can I check first, are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

When we establish whether it is just wifi related or network related we can advise further to solve the issues

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I’ve just done another test and it says there’s no issues in the area we live in but there are issues with our connection. VM said it shows interference their end. I don’t connect devices via Ethernet cables so it’s only WiFi issues on our devices where the internet connection just drops out. On our fire stick it’ll buffer quite a bit at times too - Netflix etc. 

The hub remains on a red light. Doesn’t seem to go through any other colours unless we turn it off to reset. 

Not sure whether that answers your questions or not. 

I have now found out what she meant by other devices. Like my Ring camera etc

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You say its only wifi issues .... but thats because you have only tested on wifi.

So can you see what happens on an ethernet connection as that will diagnose where the issue lays.

If its a known issue it will be reported on 0800 561 0061 - try that as well

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello tracybains,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with red light on the Hub.
I'd like to take a look into this for you.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 

In the meantime, can you please make sure the Hub is well ventilated and away form any direct heat source. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Thank you. I’ve replied to your private message and would confirm the hub has been moved and is well ventilated. 

Thanks so much for your private message and confirming your address tracybains, 

I have now booked you a visit for the service issue  – you can check the date and time via your online account here  If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

Gareth_L

Thanks so much. I’ve checked my online account but can’t see the visit. 

Apologies, I’ve found the scheduled appt. Many thanks 

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @tracybains,

Thanks for letting us know you've been able to locate the appointment. Please let us know how things go after the visit - and if you need anything else, feel free to create a new post and our community, and team will be happy to help!

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ