cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant loss of connection (wifi & wired) 😞

BIG5AM
On our wavelength

Hi everyone 👋

not sure if anyone can help but here goes!

I’ve been with VirginMedia (Broadband) for many years now but over the past year or so I’ve noticed a steady and gradual decline in the reliability of my service.

Today has been especially unbearable and it's affected my ability to work effectively (Working late to try and catch up). 

I’m seeing huge drops in my connection, where I get no internet at all through the Hub 3 in modem mode and my Eero mesh network lights go red (Hub3 starts doing it's green flashy light things).

I live in Hampshire (Aldershot/Ash area) and wonder if anyone else is experiencing connection issues in and around this area too?

I’ve included screenshots of my monitor from thinkbroadband which I hope helps. (Notice how bad today is!)

I’ve also included logs from the modem.

I really would love to get this fixed!

It might also be worth mentioning I had an engineer out 3-4 weeks ago who was very kind and helpful… and things did seem better for a week or two, but not over the last 2 weeks unfortunately it’s acting up as it was before – and today is the worst it’s ever been 😖

The engineer that came around replaced my HUB 3 and also re-fitted the coaxial cable, so I don’t think this is a hardware error, but who knows 🤷‍♂️

My setup is as follows:

Hub3 in Modem mode along with an Eero mesh. All nodes (bar 1) are wired up by ethernet.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 21.44.44 copy.jpgScreenshot 2021-06-08 at 22.13.41.pngScreenshot 2021-06-08 at 22.13.45.pngScreenshot 2021-06-08 at 22.13.50.pngScreenshot 2021-06-08 at 22.13.54.png

Network LogTime Priority Description
08/06/2021 21:13:10noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 21:13:9Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 21:12:42Warning!LAN login FAILED : Incorrect Username / Password / ConnectionType;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 21:11:25Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 21:10:13criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 21:09:17criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 21:08:0criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 21:00:56criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 21:00:23criticalREG RSP not received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 21:00:23ErrorT6 Timeout and retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 21:00:23criticalRegistration RSP rejected unspecified reason;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 21:00:22criticalRegistration RSP rejected message syntax error;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 20:58:53criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 20:58:22criticalREG RSP not received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 20:58:22ErrorT6 Timeout and retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 20:58:22criticalRegistration RSP rejected unspecified reason;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 20:58:22criticalRegistration RSP rejected message syntax error;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 20:58:7criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 20:57:34criticalREG RSP not received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/06/2021 20:57:34ErrorT6 Timeout and retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28 REPLIES 28

Hi there @BIG5AM

I am so sorry that we have not yet had a response to this, I have sent another email to the field team to chase the issue. I'm so sorry this is taking longer than we would like but I will update you as soon as I have some information for you.

Thank you.

BIG5AM
On our wavelength

2 weeks and still no response?

Unfortunately not, BIG5AM, 

And unfortunately looking at the connection currently, there are no issues showing.

Can you confirm if you are having these drops if you bypass the switch and have the hub configured in standard mode?

Cheers,

Corey C

BIG5AM
On our wavelength

I can confirm i am still getting drops all the time, as i have been from the beggining.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e551d72146f03d384f27fb0b1e6ff438ee...

Sorry to hear the issues are still on-going BIG5AM, we can understand the frustration. I can see that previous agents have reached out to the Area Field Manager to take a look, have you had a visit from them at all? I have chased this with the agents to see if a response was received.

The connection from our end looks okay with all of the spec's being in the ranges we'd expect to see, the drops do appear to happen every two hours which is a little strange. Have you noticed this to be the case?

Rob

BIG5AM
On our wavelength

Hi Rob, thanks for getting back.

I've had 3 engineering visits over the past 3 or so months.

Engineer visit 1:

Spoiler
Result: Continued to random drops, problem persistant  

What he did: Replaced SuperHub3 with new one, rewired cables and placed a 'signal adjustment device thingy'  – (don't know the technical term for it) on the back of the router that the cable from the wall goes into.

Engineer visit 2:

Spoiler

What he did: Removed 'signal adjustment device thingy' that the previous engineer installed, tested and left.

Engineer visit 3:

Spoiler

What he did: Had no background knowledge of my problems, and made no changes to any hardware or wiring, i had to talk him through it all again. He mistook a switch I had for a wireless booster so i had to explain again what my set up actually was.

Wire from wall ----> Hub3 (Modem mode) ----> Eero Mesh Network

The switch mentioned previously is not connected to the router it's connect to the Gateway Node of my Eero Mesh and is used for a limited number of devices only, when the internet drops, internet on all devices in the house drop. wireless and wired.

The engineer didn't have a testing unit with him so couldnt run tests but he called the previous engineer and after that call said "Theres nothing i can do, it looks to be a network issue, i'll get the 'network people' to come and look at the box in the street"

That was 19th of June and still, nothing has changed – i continue to lose connection randomly, every day – i've not seen a pattern of every 2 hours, it's more random. Somedays i get good days and only drop once. Other times, it's unusable and makes work a struggle.

Thank you for that information BIG5AM. 

My colleague who you spoke with last week has advised they will be reaching out the Area Manager again to see what we can do to help resolve this for you. 

Once they have more information they will be able to reach out to you. 

^Martin

Hi there @BIG5AM

I am so sorry to hear these issues have been persisting! I have contacted the AFM again and they have requested that we book you in another engineer appointment, I'm so sorry I know this is one of many but as this is what has been recommended by the area field manager it will be the best next step. 

I will send you a PM now so we can get this new appointment all booked. Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message.

Thank you. 

BIG5AM
On our wavelength

Can you confirm that the engineer will have prior knowledge to my problem and have context?