Can someone please run me through what I need to do to diagnose whether the intermittency we have is a problem with the service or downstream of the SH3. Set up is 100mb; SH3 in modem mode; ASUS RT-AC87U running current version of Merlin; Devolo powerline - both ethernet only hub and AC1200 wifi. When I ran VM phone support previously the advice was to simply reboot the router and that there were otherwise no problems showing with the service. The problem has been a constant over the last few years but we've ignored it - being at home all the time now has made it more of an issue. I'd like to see if it's a problem with the service before I go the next step of getting new hardware.
Wired - at present the laptop I'm on is plugged into LAN 3 (100mb) of the asus and it's dropping out.
Wireless - constant dropouts both before I force set the channels and after. iphones, laptop and sonos devices regularly lose connection. I've scanned surrounding channels and set the Asus to use 2.4 and 5 channels that aren't seemingly in use by the competing networks. Hasn't made an appreciable difference. Dropouts are worse upstairs but also happening in the same room as the Asus.
First thing to work out; is the problem a WAN supply problem or an internal LAN problem.
What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?
Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?
If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting your district. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.
Go round all the accessible internal and external co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.
If everything above is OK we need do some more troubleshooting; to start with …
Disable any VPNs that you have running.
Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.
Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.
Instructions for posting BQM Link
Under your BQM graph are two links in red.
Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.
Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.
On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)
In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.
Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter.
Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.
Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.
Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish.
Speed this morning when connected to the SH3 in router mode with no other devices connected averages 75 down and 10 up, across several servers.
Speed this morning through the SH3 in modem mode through the Asus router and to an iphone is today averaging 75 down and 10 up, both in multi and single mode configuration; yesterday it was getting 110 down and 10 up in the mid afternoon.
When I was compiling the information this morning and running the speed tests there were frequent drop outs and hangs in both Chrome and Firefox when interacting with the SH3. The errors occurred when connecting through SH3 + asus router and when connected directly to SH3 in router mode - both using ethernet cable into the device. This was after rebooting the SH3. When logged to the SH3 in the page would stall and go blank after a button was pushed, and only appear with a force reload. The SH3 diagnostics tool failed repeatedly, losing connection - about 8 times till I gave up.
The error messages, when connecting through 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.100.1 were
Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.0.1
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments