cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant dropouts - is it a router or just signal?

Rach-wal
On our wavelength

I've been monitoring my broadband quality for some time, we've got 2 boosters and yet we're often getting messages to say "can't connect to wifi" on devices.

It's a busy house, so I was considering adding a mesh network, or new router, but genuinely couldn't decide and can't afford to waste money on the wrong decision right now, any advice would be appreciated.

I stupidly just renewed my contract, even though I'm not happy with the service 😞 so any way to work out how to stop everyone in the house moaning that "the wifi sucks" would be appreciated 💜

Latest Snapshot:
My Broadband Ping - My home connection

15/06/22:

14/06/22:

13/06/22:

12/06/22:

11/06/22:

10/06/22:

09/06/22:

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
TBH... BQM look good overall - see this re. improving wifi

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4/5, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order them (cant do it online) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for your detailed reply, I've checked the channels and split like you suggested and its still bad, we have 2 boosters (I think thats what they are, they could be pods) but I'll chase that one!

Might invest in a mesh and see what happens as the first step!

Appreciate your reply!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
For good fair priced Mesh look at the TP-Link Deco S4M4/M5 ranges. If you are on a tight budget these are a basic unit - Tenda Nova MW6-3.

If you do go for anything - check back in here before buying

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

That last one you suggested seems a good price on Amazon right now: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-Nova-Coverage-Parental-Configured/dp/B077HTZ4TT

Worth a go?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Should be fine for modest usage. Those who want dozens of simultaneous high speed connections and router features wont like it and its often said that Tenda has poor build quality. Although back in the day I had a Tenda and it was fine for me.

When you say a "busy" household - what do you mean by that?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I work from home, but usually that's not a problem as it means everyone else is out. 

In the evenings we have a lot going on, on average the connections would be:

Ps4

6x phones

2 x TV streaming firestick

And maybe a laptop or ipad

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Cant speak to the performance of the Tenda - perhaps someone else could - but the first 2 reviews are very positive. See if any of the minus points are a deal breaker for you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thank you! Think I'll give it a go! 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Whatever you get follow this sequence

Switch on and set up your own router/Mesh first unit (in its settings) to have the WAN port set to be in "Automatic IP" i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode
( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )
and leave 5 minutes to initialise.

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Now switch your first Mesh unit on and and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically

--------------------
John
--------------------