cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant dropouts: SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync

mmcw
Tuning in

I joined VM a week ago (7th Oct) and for the first few days, everything was stable. However, I started noticing dropouts so setup a BQM to monitor connectivity. Throughout the day, there are spikes of 100% packet loss, and inspecting the network log always presents the following error: 'SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync'.

I currently have the Hub 3 in modem mode, alongside my Netgear router. I've set it up this way since I joined as I am aware the Hub 3 isn't great, especially with regards to the distance it can cover. As I mentioned, the first few days were without issue.

I did a bit of research into the error log by going through this forum, and came across a few suggestions about power levels. After inspecting the downstream power levels, they were indeed high with the first few channels at 11dBmV. I had a spare 3dB from when I was with Virgin a few years back, so I attached that and the power levels dropped to 8dB. However, the dropouts still occur 😞

Can anyone advise further on what I can try to resolve this? (I have already triple checked connections and reset the router)

Link to live BQM: 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/d80815847f5f4a4b398241e519daf0fd21893ad5

12 REPLIES 12

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi mmcw, 

Thank you. 

Please do get in touch and let us know how the visit went. 

We are happy to assist further if needed 🙂 

Thanks, 

Nat

UPDATE - had an engineer visit yesterday morning, he showed me on his device that the power levels all pass Virgin checks (with the 3dB attenuator installed). He replaced the coaxial cable provided by Virgin in the setup box, and surprisingly the power levels dropped a further 2dB. On further inspection, you can actually visually see the difference in copper thickness between both cables, with the pre-supplied cable being thinner and weaker.

The engineer's device also showed that there is an ongoing issue with the cabinet, which he said he himself has raised many months ago with the network team who are yet to resolve it. He has raised a request to get the cable to my house replaced as a precautionary measure as well.

After monitoring the connection for 24 hours, there are no more dropouts so far which is a good sign.

Thanks for letting us know the latest on your issues, how has your connection been since you last posted on Wednesday?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L