Menu
P1MHL
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Constant connection issues T3 & T4 time-outs

Hi All,

I need some help please.

Looking at other posts my problems look to be common with a lot of people!

Brief description/history:

April 2020 - constant dropping of connection and Hub 3 rebooting itself. Replacement Hub 3 sent and connected resulting in an improvement for a some weeks.

Around June - an engineer visited and replaced all physical connections outside and inside the house. Resulting in an improvement for some weeks.

Around August  - an engineer visited and put my line onto a different connection in the street cabinet and added a 6 dB attenuator to the Hub 3. Everything much improved.

December - problems returned and changed made to Hub 3 settings remotely. All ok until a few days ago.

Now I have an intermittent connection, variable slow speed when it is connected (it should be 200,) and even problems logging into the Hub 3 to get a network report. This is all based on a ethernet wired connection between my laptop and the Hub.

My uneducated guess is that there are problems with the old NTL equipment/connections in the green street cabinet (15m from my house), or somewhere else between my Hub and VMs server. I have given up phoning VM for help as it takes so much effort to convince them I am not talking about dodgy wifi, so thought I would try here.

I did eventually manage to get a network log and up and down stream data from the Hub which is pasted below.

I hope someone can help, so thanks in advance.

Mark

Network Log

Time                                                Priority      Description

31/01/2021 03:21:39                    critical       Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;

31/01/2021 03:03:5                       critical       No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;

31/01/2021 03:02:43                    critical       Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;;

31/01/2021 03:02:43                    critical       Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;

31/01/2021 03:02:43                    critical       Ranging Request Retries exhausted;;

31/01/2021 02:56:18                    critical       No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;

31/01/2021 02:55:54                    critical       Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;

31/01/2021 02:55:53                    critical       Ranging Request Retries exhausted;

31/01/2021 02:50:42                    critical       No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;

31/01/2021 02:50:22                    critical       Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;

31/01/2021 02:49:29                    critical       No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;

31/01/2021 02:49:5                       critical       Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;

31/01/2021 02:49:5                       critical       Ranging Request Retries exhausted;

31/01/2021 02:45:29                    critical       No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;

31/01/2021 02:45:14                    critical       Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;

31/01/2021 02:45:4                       critical       No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;

31/01/2021 02:44:44                    critical       Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;

31/01/2021 02:44:16                    critical       No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;

31/01/2021 02:44:14                    critical       Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;

31/01/2021 02:43:53                    critical       No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;

Upstream bonded channels

Channel     Frequency (Hz)     Power (dBmV)     Symbol Rate (ksps)      Modulation   Channel ID

1                   39400010               50.8                       5120                               64 qam          2

2                   46200005               51                          5120                               64 qam          1

Upstream bonded channels

Channel   Channel Type   T1 Timeouts      T2 Timeouts       T3 Timeouts         T4 Timeouts

1                 ATDMA              0                          0                          33                          2

2                 ATDMA              0                          0                          32                          0

General Configuration

Network access        Allowed

Maximum Number of CPEs           1

Baseline Privacy      Enabled

DOCSIS Mode          Docsis30

Config file     cmreg-vmdg505-bbt060-b.cm

Primary Downstream Service Flow

SFID                             20616

Max Traffic Rate         230000061

Max Traffic Burst        42600

Min Traffic Rate         0

Primary Upstream Service Flow

SFID                                           20615

Max Traffic Rate                       22000061

Max Traffic Burst                      42600

Min Traffic Rate                        0

Max Concatenated Burst        42600

Scheduling Type                     BestEffort

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant connection issues T3 & T4 time-outs

You look to have have a real problem. To start from a blank sheet can you do this and then post up the data again as per the protocol.

First switch the Hub off AND unplug it from the mains for 5 minutes. Whilst it's off, do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box. Then switch it on again and leave 5 minutes

Then do a Hub “pinhole reset” - make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub, and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 seconds, release the pin, leave for 10’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time.

Then, when it is back up, post up ALL your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
P1MHL
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant connection issues T3 & T4 time-outs

Update.

Followed the advice and rebooted then reset Hub with everything disconnected. Connected the laptop with ethernet cable and logged into the Hub and everything was OK and connection speeds constantly above 200.

Reconnected ethernet cables one at the time and checked all was OK after each connection. No problems until I connected a second router I had been using in LAN Bridge mode and then all the problems restarted. So it looks like this was the problem, although I don't understand why.

Apart form benefiting from extra wifi coverage, one of the main reasons for using the second router in LAN Bridge mode was to get some more ethernet ports to connect some security cameras as they are more stable with a wired connection. I had previously tried a Gigabit Switch but that did not work well with the Hub.

I guess I have to put the Hub into Modem mode and use the second router in router mode and try connecting the Gigabit Switch to that.

Mark

0 Kudos