cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Red light on Virgin Hub - Broken??

Aliskull
Tuning in

Hi,

My virgin media hub is displaying a fixed red status light on it, which I believe relates to an over-heating problem. I have explored this forum and found that a pinhole reset can fix this issue so have tried solution to no avail; still the same issue. 

My broadband seems to be ok at the minute. Should I be worried; do I need a new hub; is there anything else I can try?

Thanks.

💝

8 REPLIES 8

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Please confirm it’s a Hub3 and it is in router mode.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Aliskull,

Thanks for your post, and a warm welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're seeing a red light on your Hub. If the answer to Tudor's question about your equipment being a Hub 3 is a yes, please can you try the following:

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub.

• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight.

• Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on.

It may take around 10 minutes for the Hub to reboot fully, but the red light should have now disappeared. Please do let us know if this isn't the case, and we'll assist further.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi Reece,

Yes it's a Hub 3 as far as I can tell.

I have tried all you suggested a couple of times before the pinhole reset. None of these actions made any difference.

Thanks.

Any advice please?

Hey Aliskull, thank you for confirming this.

I am going to send you a PM so we can look at getting this replaced for you, please look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

HELP MY HUB HAS SET ON FIRE!!

Only joking.

The engineer came round and said it was just the white LED that had burnt out and the rest was fine, gave me the option of keeping the hub or replacing it for a new one (with new Network name and password, etc). I opted for the new hub because the while light was the prettiest and most reassuring.

All is well.

We had a Hub 3 replaced, it was lights out & dead in the water.

But to the point about WiFi  SSID & password, if like us you have many WiFi devices and family members
with the previous Hub's WiFi settings, nothing stops you applying those setting to the new Hub.

It was a case of change 1 Hub's WiFi settings or getting on for change WiFi on 20+ devices plus  2 access points

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Alliskull, thank you so much for this update. 
We're delighted to see you've received help from our forum staff and the engineer that visited, also great that it's all working fine for you again and got no red light issues after the hub replacement.
Please, feel free to reach out in case you face any issues with your service, equipment or account in the future.
You know where to find us 🙂

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs