cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Ping Spikes

r1fty
Tuning in

Hi there,

The past few months, when gaming, I have noticed constant ping spikes on a night-time. I can see these spikes only on WiFi on my PC and iPhone.

I've rang Virgin support who upgraded me to gigabit internet with the new Hub 4 saying that it should fix my issues, however the issue still persists. Support say they cannot see anything wrong with my equipment however there definitely is an issue somewhere.

This hasn't always been an issue, it has only started happening fairly recently, and nothing has changed apart from getting this Hub 4 put in last week.

I've heard and read buying a router with better WiFi might fix my issues but it's a lot of money to pay when it might not even be the boxes issue.

Anyone have any advice?

My BQM

37 REPLIES 37

Any updates?

Hi r1fty,

Thanks for coming back to us. We do apologise that you have not had any updates currently. 

Remotely looking at the systems from our end today, we can see that you are currently being affected by an SNR issue. 

You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

Unfortumately, this issue is due to be resolved on the 22nd of March.

As this is an estimated fix time, this date may change.

Once again sorry for any inconvenience caused due to this issue.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi r1fty,

Thank you for coming back to us, I was able to have a quick look today and it does look like the SNR issues isn't showing, please can you do a reboot on your hub, unplug from the power for 2 Minutes then plug back in.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Still seeing spikes at the same times, 4pm-12am however the graph from yesterday (link below) shows even more spikes happening from ~11am-midnight.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0bef6e9bb7839e8476d3b082f2191d6a3e...

Has there been any response from the area field manager yet?

Thanks

Update:
The spikes the past 3 days have been essentially non-existent, hopefully will stay this way?
Thanks for the help, I'll get back in contact if I see anymore issues.

Hi there @r1fty, apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I have emailed the area field manager again today to chase this up so when I hear back I'll be sure to let you know.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi r1fty, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

I'm glad to hear things have improved for you. If you have any further issues, please feel free to pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

r1fty
Tuning in

Hi,

Only a couple days after the spikes died down, they've came back.

Once you hear back from the area manager it would be great to hear what they have said, it's been almost six months now..

Particularly bad day:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ce5930b74ab5366aaa108c3576c7d65f5a... 

Most days:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/bf97178d9ff0e8f8cb0ebecc4340023e20...

I understand there is going to be extra usage and noise at peak times, but this isn't usable daily.

Thanks,

Liam

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @r1fty

Thank you for your reply

Are you able to confirm if you seen any improvement at all over the weekend? Please do provide us with an update 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs