cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Packet Loss

mr-elephant
Joining in

Hi,

I've been experiencing a constant high packet loss rate for about two weeks now. It's been bad enough that it pushed me to create an account here to specifically write about it. At it's current rate, it's affecting even the Zoom/Whatsapp calls which is the main way I both work and also keep in touch with family and friends in my home country.

I set up a BQM yesterday after finding out about the tool. Below is the graph for the last 24 hours. I also had 2-3 occassions during the last week where my internet dropped out completely for about an hour.

From what I gathered, this looks like a widespread issue since the beginning of the month. But I still wanted to make this post to bring more eyes on it. In case there is something wrong on my end, I'm also going to post my network stats as a reply to this post.

It really is upsetting that I'll have to pay my usual £39.99 at the end of the month for the awful service this month. But I've been happy with VM so far apart from this issue, and I'm hoping this'll be fixed soon.

bqm.png

28 REPLIES 28

Everything is still working but BQM is still showing 100% packet loss. As Speedtest.net shows 0% loss I suspect there’s a problem with the BQM rather than the network.

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

Thanks for the update Anankha,

It does seem strange that your BQM is showing 100% packet loss. Please can you try monitoring this again and come back to us with the results in 24 hours?

Kind regards Jodi. 

This has been happening for months but only discovered this when I checked it. I doubt waiting another 24 hours will change anything. 
I’ve previously set the monitor up again with no change. 

Hi there @Anankha, sorry to see you are still having this packet loss issue.

I recall speaking to you previously and booking a tech, did the engineer fix the omni box?

I have checked our end and there is nothing showing that could be the cause of this issue, when did you last perform a pin hole reset on the hub?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

The first technician changed some connectors but not the box itself. Said if the problem remained then most likely a re pull was required.
The second technician said nothing was wrong & asked me to check using Speedtest.net which showed no packet-loss. Stated that Virginmedia techs use Speedtest rather than BQM.

Pinhole reset has been done. Eventually the problem returns in a few hours.

Hi there @Anankha 

Thank you so much for your update and I'm so sorry to hear these issues have been ongoing! 

I'd be happy to take a closer look into this with you, I'll pop a PM across so we can do so.

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you. 

Problem now appears to be fixed.
I had to separate the 5Ghz & the 2.4Ghz SSIDs & since I did this I’ve had 0 packet loss showing on BQM.

Hi Anankha,

Thank you for reaching back out to us with an update, glad to hear splitting the channels has helped, if you do need any further support please do not hesitate to reach back out.

Regards

Paul.

Unfortunately the problem is back. 
During the nice weather there’s been no problem, now it’s raining the 100% packet loss has returned.