Menu
RickyRoma
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Constant Internet Dropouts

Hi,

Lately I've been having a lot of connection dropout problems on my line (Hub 3 , 200mb)

I've done the following to establish some facts - 

1) Reset router with pin ... no difference

2) All my devices are WIFI, so I connected a laptop via ethernet temporarily this morning. I tested pings to www.bing.com via PingInfoView. Every ping for last hour has been successful. I also have PingInfoView on wifi desktop. These show drops in the same period

pings.png

3) Ok, so it looks like a WIFI problem. Not just the desktop as 2 android phones are affected too. SO, to test it isn't just weak WIFI signal, I placed a mobile next to router with Network testing app. There are still a lot of failed pings.

4) I have 2 Roku streaming devices (WIFI) that don't appear to be affected (maybe the dropouts are so quick that the stream buffer can cope ok?)

The main problem with these dropouts is that i monitor live data feeds on the desktop (so it can't buffer ahead) and therefore keeps showing disconnections.

This is the last month of my 18 month contract. I'm tearing my hair out trying to find a solution, as I have to commit to a new broadband contract fairly soon and this problem is putting some unwanted doubts in my head. Hopefully I can sort it.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant Internet Dropouts

Apologies if you have done this already - but have you renamed the 2.4&5 GHz network ssid'd yet ?  Also have you got this enabled - if so unenable it asap.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Potential-FIX-for-WiFi-Disconnections/td-p/...

You could of course circumvent all VM wifi issues by puting the H3 in modem mode and attaching your own "quality" wifi router or access point - have you considered doing that?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Leapy
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Greetings, Wifi issues are common on the Superhub 3 due to them shifting the processing power due to the Intel/Puma issue you can either reset the routers by pushing the reset button in for around 5-10 seconds, or you can purchase a good router that is not complete junk and put the Superhub 3 in Modem mode, I would recommend you to change service if your contract is nearly up as Virgin Media is nothing but junk and they continue to treat their customers like dirt and admit there is nothing wrong with their hardware.

RickyRoma
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I was just reading that thread LOL. I see Virgin have reintroduced channel hoping in latest firmware without telling anyone !! Stupid. OK, I've put it back to manual channels. There's been less dropouts but still one in last hour. I will try re-naming the 5G SSID and report back

0 Kudos
RickyRoma
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Nope. I tried separating the 2g and 5g's and connecting devices to each different SSID. But both networks are flaky.

For example - I've got a Squeezebox Touch for streaming music. Previously it worked flawlessly on this line, never once dropping in first year. Now it loses connection at least a few times a day. The Hub 3 and Squeezebox Touch are in the same places they have always been. I'm begining to wonder if the WIFI on my Hub 3 is just dying?

It would be nice if someone from Virgin could step in here and offer some help ( I appreciate other comments about using 3rd party routers BUT the bottom line is that Virgin are providing a service which SHOULD work). Do I need an engineer visit to assess the router? It's a hassle changing ISP that I could do without, but I'm out of contract now and can't really commit to another one until this problem is sorted.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi RickyRoma,

Thanks for posting on the community.

Sorry to read you are having an issue with the wireless connection.

I can check your line for any issues, however I was unable to locate your account. If you can send me a PM confirming your name, if you are the account holder and full address, that will be helpful.

Thanks

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos