cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Hub3 restarts

2tiredofwaiting
On our wavelength

My Hub3 has been restarting multiple times during the day for the last couple of weeks. I've only been a customer for a few weeks, and it has never been that reliable, but it has now become so unreliable that it is affecting my ability to work. 

I have had two engineer visits. The first scoffed at the use of a 10db wideband attenuator and swapped it for a 3db one. The second engineer boasted of his large collection of attenuator and explained that due to the use of DocSis 3.1 that they no longer need any attenuators, and so took away the one fitted by the first engineer.

After he left the reboots continued. During this the hub3 stops responding to pings and cycles through orange lights to green lights (where it starts responding to pings again) and finally back to a solid red (magenta?) when all is good with the world again.

It makes videoconferencing quite hard as you are never sure when you'll have to take a 3minute break in the middle of a call whilst the hub3 does it's little reboot dance. It makes developing software difficult when half the boxes are hiding in the cloud. 

This seems to happen mostly during the day when both my partner and I are working, which is rather frustrating.

Below are a variety of thinkbroadband monitoring pages.
23rd, 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th & 30th April:

ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-23-04-2021ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-26-04-2021ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-27-04-2021ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-28-04-2021ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-29-04-2021ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-30-04-2021 

4th May and 5th May 2021:

ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-04-05-2021ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-05-05-2021

It's clearly a little better the last two days, but I've also been turning off various services to limit the amount of traffic. If the Hub3 is only able to offer the stonking 350Mb when there aren't enough devices connected to make use of it then I would be better off just signing up to a telephone line broadband provider who can supply a service and router that work. 

Any suggestions?

102 REPLIES 102

Hi 2tiredofwaiting,

Sorry that you have not had any response with regards to an update from the area field manager regarding the network issue. I have just taken a quick look at your account with the details you have provided from your community profile, and can see no updates have been placed on your account notes as yet.

We chase this again for you, we appreciate your patience with this and will update you as soon as we possibly can.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Thanks @Jodi_S for continuing the company policy of sharing no information and being entirely unhelpful. My router restarted itself randomly today, can you tell me why? It wasn't even raining at 8am? 

My Broadband Ping - useless virgin internets in router mode

Hi 2tiredofwaiting,

We do apologise for the poor service received and understand the frustration this matter is causing you. This morning I have emailed the area field managers again asking for further advice with this issue. We have checked from our end and once again nothing is showing why this should be happening.

We have also updated your account and placed a copy of the email I have sent over on your notes. In the circumstances we would like to get a second opinion off the area manager to see what other alternatives we can do to get this matter resolved.

Unfortunately this is not an immediate response and may take a while before we get an answer. This is why we have not posted back since the 21st of June.

As soon as we have anymore information we will get back to you. 

Kind regards Jodi. 

Thanks @Jodi_S, I fully understand that you would all prefer I wasn't moaning on an on about 10 weeks of an embarrassingly unstable service. 

Yesterday I had an early morning outage when someone little found the button that turns off the power supply, my first outage that came with a comprehensible and believable explanation. It was quite a change from the automated Virgin message that tells me rebooting the useless Hub 3 will definitely fix any problems. I can't think of any company that wouldn't be proud to supply a device that is so flaky that it can be supported by an automated message saying, "have you tried turning it off and on again?". 

We were then back to business as usual when the Hub restarted itself for no reason at all mid-morning: 

Today we have had our first unexplained restart (no doubt unnoticed by your magnificent monitoring software) 15 minutes ago.

Thanks Virgin!

Hello @2tiredofwaiting.

I can see that we have contacted the area field managers for your area yesterday.

We are just waiting for an update on the situation and what steps we can take next.

I am sorry for the wait on this being resolved.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Another week has gone by with no contact and no response. 

Off to arbitration, I guess.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Rest assured we're still chasing this for you from here 2tiredofwaiting - apologies for the delay.

Tom

Hi 2tiredofwaiting,

Sorry that you have not been contacted until today regarding this issue. I have been advised from the area manager Sebastian that you wish to cancel due to the services received.

He advised he has contacted you directly and offered several solutions which you have declined. In the circumstances we certainly understand the reasons why.

We are sorry on this occasion that our customer services have fallen below standards and this has ultimately left you with no choice but to cancel your services with us.

Sebastian has advised he will give feedback to the previous technicians that have visited your property and to make sure we have a smoother way of fault finding process in the future. 

Kind regards Jodi. 

Thanks @Jodi_S,

Just to be clear, Sebastian only offered one option (not a solution) and that was to have someone come and replace everything that I currently have. There's no clarity on why I've had the problems that have occurred over the last 2+months, nor any assurance that replacing all the wiring and the Hub would have any effect on that at all, just the single offered option of having someone come and do what the other 6 engineers have already done. 

Honestly, if there was any indication that anyone knew what had caused the problem, or that there was any confidence that ripping it all out and starting again would make a difference, then I would onboard.

But there's not.

In his defence, Sebastian was very polite. It's just a shame he wasn't trying to contact me a month ago after Engineer #6 had tried and failed to resolve this, rather than today, after I've sent a note saying i'm done.

We do apologise for the trouble @2tiredofwaiting

If you do change your mind and would like someone to come out again as suggested by Sebastian please do let us know. 

Kind Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs