cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistently poor service

Realitea
Tuning in

Don't know where else to put this as phone support is just an automated message and speaking to real people is very hard and it's not like they can do anything anyway, this is pretty much a rant for virgin media's awful service since I've moved into a different home that's not even 5 minutes from my last address. 

Since I moved in here around last August there has not been a single month since where there hasn't been outages that have lasted less than an hour most of the time it's 6-24h long. What's forcing me to post this is the current situation I'm in. Starting around 10pm on the 25th May I've had latency spikes up into the thousands (constant) and a constant packet loss of minimum 10% up to 80% making the connection damn near impossible to use and worthless for anything that requires a stable connection such as video calls (I work from home). 

From just these issues alone I've had to cancel multiple meetings and I'm left very close to being unable to work. What's worse is this isn't estimated to be fixed until the 1st June! It's completely unacceptable and the excuses are always the same "it's a really complex issue so it's taking longer to fix." I've heard everything, from laying cables to things are damaged etc. it's beyond a joke at this point and if my service wasn't so good at my last home I probably would've already switched providers and it's slowly reaching that point. In today's work from home heavy environment I need some consistency. 

I really didn't want to have to make this post but I pay £70 a month for my service (best broadband package) and I expect to get it on a consistent basis, can someone from the team please look into this and give me some sort of reason why my area is just non stop issues? I'm just tired of it at this point and want to have some justification and/or compensation for the stress its put me through and for the service I'm paying for and not getting. 

31 REPLIES 31

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Mmmm not good. Set up and post a BQM which will reveal the issues as well as the connection data - as per this..

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. On the first page up dont login (unless you have the Hub4/5 - when you do login) just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3/4) or top/right (SH’s) of the Login page and then Navigate to these “pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Already had one setup from all the previous issues, what a horrid looking BQM lol, btw it took me 2 minutes just to make this post because of the connection!

Realitea_0-1653662383982.png

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Summat's not right 🙂

Firstly is your Hub in modem mode or normal router mode? If modem mode, what router are you using?

Then what other equipment have you got attached to the Hub/router on ethernet cables.

Finally worth doing a quick check that all of your coax and ethernet cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box (no “staples, etc.,) piercing the cables. Then switch the Hub back on and leave ~5 minutes

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Done these steps numerous times from the problems I've had in the past I know the routine I appreciate you trying to help though!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - I just posted this in another thread - would be good to try...

"In the meantime can you humour me and.... tonight just before bedtime, put the Hub into normal router mode and disconnect all ethernet cables from it. Check that the BQM is still running ok - as the i.p. address changes between modem and router modes (or do you have two BQM's going?) and leave it overnight and then see what the BQM looks like."

Then lets see in the morning if the red fringe remains or disappears.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Left everything as it was last night seems to have calmed down a little this morning? Still horrid though

Realitea_0-1653721875643.png

Adding my live graph for VM to see, this is getting ridiculous. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/67c53b74993ef900101be242a4bbc267f51512a7

HI Realitea,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing a lot of issues with your broadband service recently. That BQM graph is certainly not looking good at all.

I've had a look from this end and I can see that you're currently affected by an SNR outage in the area, which will be causing you slow speeds and an intermittent connection.

This outage is estimated to be resolved by 1st June. Please do let us know how things are then, and I am sorry for the inconvenience caused in the meantime.

Kind regards

Beth

Will the SNR outage repair fix the horrendous packet loss and latency issues I'm seeing here? Also just wondering how an issue like this is acceptable and how it's ok to drag on for so long? This is affecting work and I've literally had to miss days because of it why is there no consistency in my service and why do things like this happen at least once a month?