cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection loss and hight latency

Multiverse
Joining in

Screenshot_2023-11-07-13-17-53-423_com.android.chrome.jpg

 for the image attached I disconnected all devices connected to the internet around 5am, and before that I was doing light internet searches. Is all the yellow latency spike normal ?

Around the 27th of October my connection gone bad, after checking the broadband monitor around then I noticed constant high latency spikes and packet loss spikes. I then checked on VM site and it said they is an issue on my area what will be fixed on the 31st of October... So I had a bad connection till then, but even after then it continued. I've contacted customer service over whatapp and they are generic in responses saying "we will help you don't worry" without actually helping and only are sending me out a new hub 4 which likely will not fix it as it unlikely it the hub 4 and the poor maintaining of the network in my area. Also when i check the status of the VM network in my area it saying they is no issue my area then it say they is and it will be fixed the 6th then no issue to issue the 7th and when I spoke to customer service on WhatsApp they said after I pointed out it saying they is an issue in my area they all of sudden go yes they is an issue in your area which will be fixed on the 9th..... What the hell going on, is they an issue in my area or not and if so when will it be fixed. And the fact I booked an engineer weeks ago for it to be cancelled on the claim it a local area issue is a joke when I sit here with a poor connection for weeks and they site for checking issue in my area is 1 minute they is an issue in my area to they is no issue in my area.

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is being reported on the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues and fix estimates, down to street cab/ postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The number says it an ongoing intermittent issue that they are working on. It been going on since the 16th of October, so I'm meant to wait months for a fix.... While I sit here with a bad connection. How long it take them to fix an issue as have they setup camp at the location to spend months fixing it.... 

Screenshot_2023-11-07-15-07-16-332_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-07-15-07-35-473_com.android.chrome.jpg

 two images the 16th of October and the 17th when it started.

Multiverse
Joining in

So I applaud the 0 help from the customer service on here. So they sent me a message saying the fault in my area been fixed but as seen in the image below I still have these high latency spikes. 

Screenshot_2023-11-08-15-16-52-662_com.android.chrome.jpg

Multiverse
Joining in

I'm done, relied on the internet like a lot of people these days and I'm unable to work from home no more so unable to cover my bills. I reported the issue 2 weeks ago and the engineer was cancelled due to claim it was a area issue. WhatsApp is just people you pay peanut to copy and paste responses and they is 0 customer service on here. It my fault as I should of learned after the ordeal of dealing with virgin media after a construction company put a digger through my wire and I waited a month for a fix then the guy did a tempt fix, saying I'll receive a new wire layed within a month and someone would come and bury the temp fixed wire, after i followed up what he said on here I was passed around and when i finally got an initial response, I was told the guy didn't book anything. Still on the temp fix and I had to bury the wire myself after someone tripped on it. Should of moved to BT when I had the chance, too late now.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Multiverse, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear there was an ongoing issue in your area. This has since been resolved so if you haven't already, we would advise rebooting your hub to clear everything and refresh the connection. 

The outage was an SNR outage - SNR (signal to noise ratio). This is just a technical term for interference of the Broadband signal caused by noise which ingresses on to our network. It's a difficult problem to locate and diagnose. This is because noise can ingress anywhere on our network. As a general rule it's normally caused by customer equipment e.g. loose connections or 3rd party equipment attached to our network. However it can also be attributable to local architecture, e.g street cabinets, cabling or at the origin of the signal which we call the Headend (servers/routing system). The only way to establish where the noise is originating is for the Network Techs to run a series of trace routes. Once found then the cause dictates he amount of work required and the time frame for resolution. We understand it is frustrating but the team were working as quickly as they can. 

After the reboot, please let us know if you continue to have further issues. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs