cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection is intermittent during hot weather

AndrewMc1
On our wavelength

Not sure if this a coincidence, but for years now every time we get hot weather my Connection is intermittent. So frustration just now as I am trying to work from home. Also, phone customer support is not helpful at all nor understands the problem.

I hope you are able to help?

Regards 

Andrew

53 REPLIES 53

MatthewS1993
Dialled in

Yeah sadly the boxes in the street tend to over heat when it’s weather like today, they do have fans in them to cool them done but sadly doesn’t always solve the issue

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

I am a serving Field Technician at Virgin however all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

Hi Matthew 

Realy value your honest answer, this is the only area of Virgin Media that anyone knows what there doing, thank you. 

This said, it does not resolve my problem and when I paying a lot of money for this Broadband service, strangely I expect it to work!!

Is there any way someone can take a look a the box and fix the problem?

Thanks Again 

Andrew

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Afternoon @AndrewMc1

Cheers for popping along - as @MatthewS1993 has mentioned, on occasion some of our cabinets may over heat. We do have fans inside and have even painted some white inside to help with the issue with some more impacted cabinets. 

However, if you are having intermittent issues more frequently, this is certainly something we can take a closer look at for you. I have located your account from your forum information and can see that you have rebooted your hub within the last 24 hours. 

All signal levels are within the parameters we would expect - we have no area issues and no errors showing whatsover.

Due to this, it would be most helpful to set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts.  It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of your connection. If you need any help with that please let us know. You can post a link to yours directly to this thread 🙂 

Cheers!

Katie - Forum Team

Hi Katie

I am up and running now, so the box must have cooled down. 

I will set up up the broadband monitor

Thank you

Regards

Andrew 

@AndrewMc1 wrote:

Hi Katie

I am up and running now, so the box must have cooled down. 

I will set up up the broadband monitor

Thank you

Regards

Andrew 

Also worth posting your signal levels. (let the forum know if you need help getting these figures)

As the coaxial cable heats the characteristic impedance changes causing signal levels to drop.
If they are already marginal then this can cause issues when warm.

My downstream levels can drop by 4dB  and my upstream levels can increase by 2dB.

If that's your problem then an engineer visit may be required to correct.

Hi, it's that time of year again, today service dropped and crashed around five times today. 

I was talking to VM business salespeople who guarantee the service connection, that said whats the diffrence, does the cable not come from the same street box? 

Thanks 

Andrew

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @AndrewMc1

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Could you reboot the hub so I can review the power levels please?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Travis, 

If I did that now the levels would be normal. I can guarantee that later today when the street box over heats again, then I will lose all internet connection and rebooting the router does nothing to this problem. 

Regards 

Andrew 

Post up your hub stats for Up and DOwnstream

If the hot weather has pushed them out of spec VM can send an engineer to sort it out!

As mentioned earlier in the thread - if you on the cusp of being out of spec it will be fine until the heat rises

It is something that can be fixed!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7