cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection cuts out + orange light + generally weak download speed

lucasgolding
Joining in

Hello,

Over the past few weeks my internet has become very sluggish (BR2 area), looking at around 3mb/s download speed on average.

More recently, the signal has become very weak or just cuts off, forcing me to manually restart it, which takes around 30 minutes to come back online. It generally lasts around 24 hours before I have to restart it again. Not sure if relevant, but it always has an orange light.

Any fixes? The hub is fairly old and may need replacement.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See my reply here re orange light

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Orange-light-on-hub/td-p/5297376

Then, are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it?

Also, Check first for any “known network faults - Try in 2 places

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello,

Ethernet and wifi connections are both affected, usually I notice my desktop loses its wired connection and then my mobile does.

It is a hub 3.0

Thanks

If it's a red light in Router mode as opposed to modem mode - VM need to swap out the hub asap as it is either overheating or thinks it is due to a faulty sensor!

If it were me, I'd call 150 (or 0345 454 1111) and tell them it is hot - they'll book a tech visit sharpish!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

lucasgolding
Joining in

Hello,

I have now encountered a different issue. 

After restarting it due to reasons mentioned previously, it now shows a solid green light, solid green wifi icon, and flashing green arrows icon. The internet now does not work at all, my mobile detects the signal but there is not connection. I have restarted it multiple times only to encounter the same issue.

I am assuming this is related to my previous issues. I called the 0800 561 0061 hotline and they said no issues detected. 

Could someone help please, I cannot use my internet at all now.

thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ongoing outage at the moment, but some reports are coming in that's it's fixed now?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks, yes that seemed to be related to the outage. 

However the original issue is still persisting. After checking for known network faults which have said there are no issues, I believe this is a malfunction of the hub. Could someone from Virgin Media please get in touch with me about replacing this.

Thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you do this

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. No need to log in - just click on the “Router Status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3/4/5) or top/right (SH’s) - of the Login page.

Then… Navigate to these “data pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again). If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts
Also, If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.