cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection buffers

Bwcferguson
Tuning in

Hi having problems with Facebook and you tube buffering tried all the usual reboots etc 

seems everything else is working ok anyone managed to sort this issue and could help what to do next? 

28 REPLIES 28

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It sounds like you have an issue with internet speeds on your VM broadband connection - am I right?

If so - are these problems evident on both Ethernet wired & WiFi devices? That's the first check as to whether you have a broadband problem or a wireless issue. If you're not sure - please check.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kerrigoonaz
On our wavelength

I've had the same issue for about 1 week now, Webpages load slowly, streams buffer meanwhile speedtests show full speeds. 1Gig fibre but runs like I'm on dial up. I'm seeing more and more people complain about this in my area aswell. There's obviously a issue on the network somewhere but Virgin Media seem to have their heads in the sand. I've rebooted, reset router and got a replacement router and had a engineer out and everything.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If speedtests are showing the full speeds, then on the face of it VM are delivering the correct service.

Any issues with specific applications on your laptop or suchlike, could be a laptop issue.

The other possibility would be a routing issue with particular sites or suchlike - are there any specific websites or streaming sites that are problematic?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Not a problem with a specific Laptop or PC because happens on 3 PC's all wired. also happens on all devices on Wi-Fi like tablets and mobile phones and the kids Xbox's. Twitch, YouTube, Netflix, NowTV, Disney plus all buffer same goes for websites not loading or not loading correctly and when I said not loading correctly I mean pictures don't load and that's on almost every website even this one. I'm seeing more and more people complain about this in my area aswell. There's 100% a issue somewhere. Calling the 0800 reports back no faults everything was working up until about 1 week ago. I don't drop packets to anything other than Virgin medias DNS server ranging from anywhere between 3-6%.

I've tried using different DNS servers aswell but the issue stays. I've also used my own router. But reading people have the same issue around my area goes to show it's a issue on the network.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kerrigoonaz wrote:

I'm seeing more and more people complain about this in my area aswell. ...
But reading people have the same issue around my area goes to show it's a issue on the network.

Where are you reading this? I'm going to guess a social meeja site, in which case my first instinct is to take anything you read on Facebook or Twitter with an initial pinch of salt. There may be something in it, but too often other users with completely different issues jump on a thread and it's hard to tell the wood from the trees.

If affected users were to register on this forum and post on here, then that would be a quick way for a genuine routing issue to be spotted and escalated to VM.

I've seen people mention it in a few places, I've also seen people report almost the same issue on here though they don't mention their locations. But I do understand what you're saying about taking what people say with a pinch of salt, but I'm talking about people who are specific and say stuff like: "as anybody noticed a issue with their VM internet loading pages slowly and pictures not loading since about a week ago" which is almost identical problem to what I'm seeing make you wonder doesn't it.

The problem is most people don't want to waste their time signing up and writing a full essay about a problem to then be told to Reset their routers.

I phoned up today was told to pin hole reset on back of router so far hasn’t made any difference still not showing all pictures on Facebook etc they said they’d call me tomorrow to see if there’s any improvement if not will move to next stage 🤷🏼‍♂️

what's your rough location if you don't mind my asking? I've had a engineer come out and everything he checked all the wires and stuff connected to my property and all that jazz. I even shown him the problem happening on a PC and on a mobile device in the end he just replaced my router and left even though the issue was still happening after the router change.

Hi am in Perthshire Scotland