cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a Samsung UE49KU6400U TV to a Hub 5

AstraNine
Joining in

I have recently upgraded my broadband to 1GB and received a Hub5 router. The security encryption used by the Hub5 is wpa2 or wpa3. However the TV only uses wpa, consequently I cannot connect. Anybody got any ideas to solve this? 

15 REPLIES 15

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the TV only supports WPA, then you do not want to use it, it’s very unsure. Can you connect it via an Ethernet cable?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Unfortunately not. Tv is downstairs and router is upstairs! Agree about WPA but cannot do much about that and dont want to bin the TV.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

How will that help with an unsafe TV connection? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hmmm, I'm not sure it will! Although a range extender is helpful its not actually the problem in this case. A physical connection between router and TV is not possible either. Am working around the problem by using an Google HDMI chromecast to connect with a mobile app. But I would prefer to connect WiFi direct to the Tv. Any other ideas anybody?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ask them to replace the Hub5 with a Hub4 ?

Or put the Hub into modem mode and use your own wireless router that offers WPA?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There will still be WPA which should be avoided.

I would get a simple wireless extender {pod?).  Stand it near the TV and connect with ethernet. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@jpeg1 wrote:

How will that help with an unsafe TV connection? 

TV has ethernet you connect to the Wi-Fi Range Extender then it connects by WiFi to to the hub

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@AstraNine wrote:

I have recently upgraded my broadband to 1GB and received a Hub5 router. The security encryption used by the Hub5 is wpa2 or wpa3. However the TV only uses wpa, consequently I cannot connect. Anybody got any ideas to solve this? 

Where did you discover that the TV only uses WPA?  Your Samsung UE49KU6400U is a 2016 model and WPA2 was introduced in 2004.  There are no security settings for the Samsung TV.  We need to get to the bottom of this.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)