Menu
slartibartfast1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Connecting V6 and TiVo with Powerline plugs

I have a V6 and a TiVo connected via Powerline plugs and I can see recordings on each box from the other when looking at My Shows. At least I can until I add another Powerline plug for my Raspberry Pi Server. Then I can no longer see recordings on the other box and I get a C423 error. (There may be a problem with your home network or the network connection on your TiVo boxes, or the TiVo box may have been unplugged)

I can still connect to both boxes with the Virginmedia TV control Android app but the boxes cannot connect to each other.

Is there a solution for this? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting V6 and TiVo with Powerline plugs

HI slartibartfast1,

Thanks for your post.

Very sorry to hear you are having trouble with this. 

Can you confirm if you are experiencing this issue as soon as you plug in the powerline or is it after you have plugged in the Raspberry Pi?

When you plug in the powerline, does the network recognise that it's there?

Thanks 

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos
slartibartfast1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I think it is only an issue when the Raspberry Pi is connected. Previously I was using the same Powerline adaptor to connect a Samsung TV with no problems but there was very little date sent over that connection. I have not tried connecting anything else as a test. All the devices connected to the Powerline adaptors can be seen on the network. If it is relevant the Powerline adaptors connected to the V6 and TiVo are a pair I bought a few years ago and are 200MB/s and the third adaptor is a Netgear PL1000 provided by Virginmedia.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

As long as the Powerline is active before the Pi tries to connect any Powerline adapter should work really.

It could possibly be a compatibility issue between the different Powerlines. Is it possibly to connect the Pi directly to the hub - or an alternative set of Powerlines - to see if the problem persisits?

Tom_F 

0 Kudos
slartibartfast1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Since I had a spare PL1000 I connected the Pi to a separate Powerline network consisting of the two PL1000s and everything works. That is how I have left it now but it is annoying that it doesn't work with only three Powerline adaptors on the same network. It wastes another socket since the PL1000 isn't pass through.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

It sounds like it is more of a limitation with the Powerline to be honest. However I'll be happy to take a quick look over things from our end & see if there's more we can do to help.

I'll send a PM shortly so we can confirm some details & will look forward to your reply so we can investigate further.

Tom

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

It's always best to connect at least one of the boxes to the hub by Ethernet cable.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
slartibartfast1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have an update about my issue where a TiVo box and a V6 box were unable to share recorded programs when using powerplugs if a Raspberry Pi was connected to a third powerplug.

Previously I had my TiVo box connected via two old intellon based powerplugs and the V6 connected directly to the router. This worked until I connected a third netgear powerplug for my Pi when the communication between the Virgin boxes was broken. 

One of my old powerplugs stopped working recently so as I already had my Pi connected via two netgear powerplugs I tried adding my remaining old powerplug to the same network as the two netgear powerplugs and connecting my TiVo to it. I was not expecting it to work as this should have been the same as my original powerplug network but I was surprised to find it does work.

So two netgear powerplugs plus an intellon powerplug works but two intellon plus a netgear doesn't work. I have no idea why just pleased that it does.

0 Kudos
slartibartfast1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Seems I was wrong, it still does not work. It works occasionally after rebooting a box but soon loses contact even though both boxes are still visible on the network (fing). 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear that you haven't solved the issue that you're having slartibartfast1. I have done some background checks on the system and everything is working as it should from the connection side of things.  As my colleague mentioned earlier it maybe a limitation with the powerline adaptors when another device is added to the network.

Unfortunately we can only advise that the connection is working from our end and there seems to be no issues across the network.

Thanks

Steven_L

0 Kudos