cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Tp-link archer vr2800 to Hub 3

Peterwright1984
Tuning in

Hi, really stuck here trying to connect a new TP-Link Archer VR2800 to my hub 3. Loss of reviews on Amazon etc saying it was easy to set up with Virgin and it’s just not happening!!

In summary

I’ve set the hub to modem mode and getting a pink/magenta light on it

Followed the set up instructions for the router, put it into WiFi router mode and dynamic IP

It just won’t connect to the internet

tried Resetting and rebooting both the hub and the router but makes no difference

spoke to somebody from TP-Link on an online chat and they were telling me I need to set it to PPPoe and input the ISP login and password Virgin would have given me but every forum I’ve read says this isn’t right and the router should auto detect the settings.

To make matters worse it’s not letting me back into the hub through 192.168.100.1 to change back to a router!!!

having an absolute nightmare, please send help!!

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do it again in this sequence

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it. Put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP & Nat mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub.

NOW… power up the VM hub and you should get a connection in a few minutes. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks that’s worked!!

One last question, do I now need to run an Ethernet from my new router to my Virgin TV box? The 2 arrows symbol on my box is flashing in an orange colour

That would depend on if the TV Box can be connected wirelessly or not.

Which box is it?

If it was connected by cable before - just run the same cable from the back of the archer to the box!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Note when in modem mode all ethernet connection have then to come fro the ports on your router. The others on the Hub are now inactive.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.