cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Superhub 3.0 to TP-Link or other router

Shardlake
Tuning in

I had difficulty when trying to connect my Superhub to my new TP-Link router. I'm putting the instructions up here for any other unfortunate souls who are trying to do it. Mine is a TP-Link Vr900 v3.0. It's actually quite easy once you know how:

Instructions

1) Set Superhub 3.0 to modem only mode using usual router login, usually 192.168.0.1.
2) Connect the router to the superhub via LAN using only the WAN port (as indicated on the back of the new router). Plug the other end into port 1 on the Superhub 3.0.
2) Set TP-Link device to router / Wi-fi mode by going to Advanced > Operation mode > Select "Wireless Router Mode" and save. If you can't get into the router try disconnecting it from the superhub first in order to get into the intitial setup screens.
4) Go back to quick setup, you will see a message saying "Quick setup function is only available when this device is working in DSL modem router mode" > Select No and it should connect (a weird quirk of the router).

5) Additional instructions:

a. You may need to reboot both devices to get it to work.

b.You may also have to disable/enable your LAN adapter under "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections" in windows.

c. You may also want to update the firmware of your router to the latest version by downloading the file to your hdd first.

Please reply if this helped you, thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

Hi

did you manage to get the archer VR2800 to work  with the Hub? I tried connecting mine last night but I don’t get internet connection from the router, it shows as an organ light on the top (should be white)

thanks 

Kevillini
Settling in

I couldn't get our new tp-link AC-1200 to work with the superhub 3 in modem mode. I done a 50 second reset on the hub and within minutes managed to get the new router working perfectly!

Are there any major disadvantages to leaving the hub in its normal state and not switching to modem mode?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TP-Link router will have better router features and functionality than a VM Hub that you will be losing out on . 

With the Hub is in router mode the TP-link should be in "Bridge" mode to avoid issues.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@Kevillini wrote:

I couldn't get our new tp-link AC-1200 to work with the superhub 3 in modem mode. I done a 50 second reset on the hub and within minutes managed to get the new router working perfectly!

Are there any major disadvantages to leaving the hub in its normal state and not switching to modem mode?

Yes and no. You’ll need to put the router into Bridge/AP Mode as you can’t have two devices acting as routers.

Failing that you can use Modem Mode so long as the correct setup procedure is followed.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thanks for the speedy replies, I've just set the hub to modem mode as advised and after around 5 minutes of no WiFi, our devices have connected back automatically!

I've just realised that as we only have a chromebook,  we had to set it up a bit differently because we don't have a way to configure the hub or the router settings via an ethernet cable. It might be obvious to many but if anyone is struggling and has the same issue as we do (no laptop/computer to go in and edit settings), I got ours working by doing this;

1) connect hub and router via ethernet cable provided

2) turn on power supply to router and push the power on button at the back (may take a few minutes to have the 4 green lights turn on. also might need to turn the hub off and back on, I did a few times as I had to factory reset to disable modem mode)

3) run the initial quick set up on the router and follow the instructions as described in the quick installation guide (via mobile/chromebook)

4) enable modem mode on the hub

Only had the router (AC-1200) a matter of hours but our smart TV (bedroom) that wouldn't stream Youtube and would have awful connection to BBC iPlayer is streaming much smoother now. On our mobiles we were having connection dips for around 30 seconds a few times an hour, that seems to have disappeared so far!

...picking up an ol thread.

i had fun and games setting up a vr2100 last night, if you follow the instructions on this thread it helps , but also i had no interenet, in the end 4hrs later i was about to return thr vr2100 but played with the wireles settings in the tplink setting it over to dynamic and i got the ineternet connected sraightway.. its a vast improvement on the hub3, at it blackstop the hub 3 was 2-4 mbps now 50-80mbps...the instructions via the tplink set up page ask for passwords,?///? me nor tech support knew what was needed and vm wanted money from a 3rd party to set it up...

hope this helps someone...