cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting PS5 to Modem

Lioris_13
Tuning in

Hoping someone can help.

I've had to put Hub 4 into modem mode & purchase Mesh Network due to poor WiFi coverage from the hub.

This has meant my powerline adapter & PS5 can't be plugged directly into the Hub so I'm getting about 10% of the speed I'm paying for.

I've been told this set up should be possible but virgin have not offered even a single suggestion after an hour on the phone 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What Mesh system is it? In any case it MUST be set up this way - try again first if you didnt.

Note there should be an ethernet port on the first mesh unit that you use for any other ethernet connections (add an unmanaged GB switch if you need more ports).

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it. unplug and switch off the other units too. Put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP & Nat mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. NOW… power up the VM hub and you should get a connection in a few minutes.

Then, use the recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Do you mean a 5 port switch?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What Mesh system is it? In any case it MUST be set up this way - try again first if you didnt.

Note there should be an ethernet port on the first mesh unit that you use for any other ethernet connections (add an unmanaged GB switch if you need more ports).

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it. unplug and switch off the other units too. Put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP & Nat mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. NOW… power up the VM hub and you should get a connection in a few minutes.

Then, use the recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply, I wish you'd been there to help with the initial setup as I missed the modem only mode.

The mesh network is working perfectly. The issue is I can't get the Playstation or Powerline adaptor to work with the modem only Hub 4.

I've bought a cheper 5 port router off amazion to see if having the Playstation or Powerline adaptor plugged in works.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes when in modem mode - only one port on the Hub remains active. So all ethernet connections have to come from the port on the first Mesh unit. And the ports on the other Mesh units will also be active and usable.

Why have you bought a cheap router ? what did you get? - it cant be used as a router only as an wireless access point.

You shouldnt need the powerlines now either if you got a decent Mesh system - use the ethenet port on the nearest mesh (or the better quality wifi)

And so again.... what Mesh system did you get ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Do you mean a 5 port switch?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

The gent below hit the nail on the head, I've bought a 5 port network switch (I was thinking can I plug my Plusnet router into port 2 & confused self). This may make my powerline adapters completely useless with you saying only one port remains on the modem-only hub. 

Do you know if a mesh network will work plugged into a 5 port switch or does it need to be direct into modem?

I bought the Eero mesh network. I'd never used a mesh network and this was 40% off at the time so a cost-effective test. I can plug Playstation into the 1st mesh network & I may have to get a 3rd Eero hub & use the ports on the back of that to plug my PC in via ethernet. (that's the only really inconsistent signal now)

Yes, connect the switch to the mesh system, not the hub. When in modem mode, your setup should look something like this..

hub——>router/primary mesh unit——>everything else