cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting BT mesh to hub 5

Amarea
Joining in

Hi all

We are returning customers to Virgin, having previously had a hub 3 or 4 to which we connected a BT Whole Home 3 pod mesh system. This mesh has worked with all other routes, including our most recent non-virgin router. However, we can't get the mesh pods to connect to our new hub 5.

We've tried it in router mode (with and without WiFi), modem mode, and we've factory reset both systems but when we plug the main mesh pod into the hub 5 it still says it's getting no connection, no matter which ethernet port we use. 

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Amarea wrote:

Hi all

We are returning customers to Virgin, having previously had a hub 3 or 4 to which we connected a BT Whole Home 3 pod mesh system. This mesh has worked with all other routes, including our most recent non-virgin router. However, we can't get the mesh pods to connect to our new hub 5.

We've tried it in router mode (with and without WiFi), modem mode, and we've factory reset both systems but when we plug the main mesh pod into the hub 5 it still says it's getting no connection, no matter which ethernet port we use. 

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks

Do you have anything else connected to the HUB 5 via Ethernet, or just the BT mesh system?

Have you tried rebooting the HUB 5 after the BT mesh system is fully powered on?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hub should be in Router mode for BT disks. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=42&v=S9PBGti6HGg&embeds_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fshop.bt.com%2F&...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes, we've tried it with just the BT plugged in by ethernet and with our Virgin media box plugged in as well. Neither version provided a connection. We also followed a previous community answer about plugging in the booted mesh pod and then rebooting the hub but that also didn't work. We've found nothing online so far that's worked.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you fully reset the BT system to be in its initial state, it might be remembering old IP addresses.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Unfortunately yes, we've done a factory reset on both systems twice to see if that was an issue but still no luck.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The BT disks will not work on their own.  They need to be plugged into the VM Hub.

So are you saying you get no wifi or cabled broadband from the Hub as well?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

When I plug the primary pod into the hub 5 by ethernet, the pod says it's not registering a connection to the hub, even when the hub has been rebooted after plugging the pod in.

Hi Amarea, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear your BT mesh is not working with our hub 5.  And sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing you.  As this is 3rd party equipment, there's not much we can offer in support.  However I would like to have a look at your account, to see if there's scope for getting you our fantastic pods as a part of your package.  I am going to send you a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

This is very strange. I've used the BT discs for years, with several different routers, and never had a moment's trouble connecting them. 

Have you tried using a different disk as the primary?  With a new cable?  In different Hub sockets? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.