cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting 2nd router to HUB 3.0

mrmiyagikarate
Joining in

Hi,

I know there are already a few questions relating to the subject but I can't see a definitive answer.

I have run an ethernet cable from my VM HUB to an external building and need to connect devices wirelessly in the building (obviously range is too far, wouldn't trust a mesh system and range extender won't work because of the way electricity is wired i.e. different circuit). I can see that people have mentioned setting up a WAP but I have a TP-Link TL-WR841N router which I would like to use if possible. I purchased this after watching a YouTube video (see link below), which gave a thorough rundown on connecting a router to an existing modem/router however, the settings on the HUB are different to what is demonstrated in the video, a Netgear modem/router was used, video link here - https://youtu.be/J5QJb3O19zI

In the video he changes the DHCPv4 to a different address but the layout on the VM HUB has me confused.

Help me out guys, can I connect the router or do I have to use a WAP?

Appreciate the help!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need to follow this sequence 

Put the VM hub into modem mode and make sure the bottom led is magenta (reddish) then turn OFF the hub.

Fully initialise your own router, with the WAN port set to DHCP.

Plug it into the VM hub, it doesn't matter which port, but only one port works in router mode so remove any other ethernet cables from the hub3.

Then power on the VM hub and it should work

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

@newappollos advice is correct for most use cases however it will result in the hub in the house no longer providing a WiFi signal and from reading your post that’s not going to work for you..

if you want the tp link to act as an access point in the garden building but keep the hub doing what it does in the house you’ll need to fiddle with some more settings..

Log into the tp link, disable DHCP. Configure the LAN address to be 192.168.0.250. Then connect the Ethernet cable from the hub to one of the LAN ports on the tp link. Should be good to go.

worth noting though that this is a wireless N device with 100mb ethernet ports, so speeds are going to be limited accordingly.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need to follow this sequence 

Put the VM hub into modem mode and make sure the bottom led is magenta (reddish) then turn OFF the hub.

Fully initialise your own router, with the WAN port set to DHCP.

Plug it into the VM hub, it doesn't matter which port, but only one port works in router mode so remove any other ethernet cables from the hub3.

Then power on the VM hub and it should work

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

@newappollos advice is correct for most use cases however it will result in the hub in the house no longer providing a WiFi signal and from reading your post that’s not going to work for you..

if you want the tp link to act as an access point in the garden building but keep the hub doing what it does in the house you’ll need to fiddle with some more settings..

Log into the tp link, disable DHCP. Configure the LAN address to be 192.168.0.250. Then connect the Ethernet cable from the hub to one of the LAN ports on the tp link. Should be good to go.

worth noting though that this is a wireless N device with 100mb ethernet ports, so speeds are going to be limited accordingly.

Thanks for the fast response! I appreciate the advice.

@tehwolf thank you! Do I need to alter any of the DHCP settings on the HUB as suggested in the YouTube video or just the TP Link router?  

Thanks for your help on this one, @newapollo and @sophist

Cheers,

Corey C