cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected without internet

Nikkicoulson
Tuning in

For months now my Internet connection disappears. There are apparently no issues with my line but all my devices lose connection. Signal is at full strength but my devices state connected without Internet. How do I resolve this issue. I live in a signal blackspot so I need my Internet to make calls. I just want a working Internet that isn't going to need resetting 50 times a day. 

14 REPLIES 14

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are wired connections equally affected?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also, what are the LEDs showing on the hub?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

The only wired connection is the xbox and this does suffer lag issues but never loses connection. I'm thinking it is an issue with my hub and the wireless signal but virgin are telling me there are no issues and when I questioned it I was told that theu cannot guarantee wireless Internet 🙄

The LED are always normal. Nothing indicates any problems. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If it is a wifi only issue, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the Hub settings - and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation". Apply changes and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing “boosters”). Pods are free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

If not you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Oh and yeah, I was told it would cost us £5 extra per month.

How do the pods work as my signal strength is good I just cannot get Internet. We have tried splitting the 5 and 2.4 before and it didn't make any difference. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GPP   Can you start your own thread if you want some help.  If the OP has a Hub3 then the connect App will work - but it adds nothing you cannot do through the Hubs settings.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Nikkicoulson wrote:

How do the pods work as my signal strength is good I just cannot get Internet. We have tried splitting the 5 and 2.4 before and it didn't make any difference. 

Can we check that your network connection is working properly or not.  If it is (as VM are saying) then when you connect a computer or laptop directly into the Hub with a Cat5e/6  ethernet cable you will get a solid and stable connection to the internet. 

Can you do that as a test first?

--------------------
John
--------------------