cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected without internet (HUB 4)

GPP
Joining in

Was recently emailed by Virgin, recommending we "upgrade" to Hub 4.

Me and my other brother both have Androids (he has a Moto e7i Power and I have a Samsung Galaxy A71) - and neither of us can get internet, despite having a connection. We both get "connected without internet".

Our Nest device (for heating and hot water) won't work either.

Furthermore, we can't go in and look at our Hub4 settings on the Virgin app (which I was told to download by an agent from the Virgin Broadband Helpline) because guess what, the Virgin Media Connect app doesn't support Hub4 "yet". Would have been good if Virgin's employees knew about this - would have saved me from having to spend YET MORE money going over my 4g data limit after 2 weeks without wifi on my mobile.

How Virgin think it's acceptable to roll out a device that isn't even compatible with THEIR OWN SOFTWARE is beyond me.

As I tried to explain yesterday to multiple Virgin telephone agents, Hub4 is in fact an enormous *downgrade*!!. But I couldn't even get them to concede that there was in fact a problem at all - I had the phrase "there is nothing wrong with your router" repeated to me ad nauseum.

Finally, while it is currently irrelevant because I can't get internet anyway, I notice that the signal drops to 1 or 2 bars the moment I step foot out of the room the hub is in, meaning that if and when I do find a way to get internet, I'll only be able to do so in one room of my flat, whereas before this shoddy device was installed I had internet throughout my flat. In other words, this "upgrade" also includes a bonus reduction in range!! Nice one.

But don't worry guys, you can just boost the amount of money you pay Virgin every month (so says Virgin customer support), and they'll boost your signal for you...

And also don't worry guys, because you can just pay a new monthly subscription to one of their partner companies (so says Virgin customer support), who will provide you with "device management", for all those times when Virgin doesn't have a clue or give a damn about the basic functionality of their own products.

3 REPLIES 3

GPP
Joining in

Having exactly the same issue. "Connected without internet".

One of my brothers has an iphone, and is having no issue.

Me and my other brother both have Androids (he has a Moto e7i Power and I have a Samsung Galaxy A71) - and neither of us can get internet, despite having a connection.

Our Nest device (for heating and hot water) won't work either.

Furthermore, we can't go in and look at our Hub4 settings on the Virgin app (which I was told to download by an agent from the Virgin Broadband Helpline) because guess what, the Virgin Media Connect app doesn't support Hub4 "yet". Would have been good if Virgin's employees knew about this - would have saved me from having to spend YET MORE money going over my 4g data limit after 2 weeks without wifi on my mobile.

How Virgin think it's acceptable to roll out a device that isn't even compatible with THEIR OWN SOFTWARE is beyond me.

We were offered this 'upgrade', but as I tried to explain yesterday to multiple phone operators, Hub4 is in fact an enormous DOWNGRADE. But I couldn't even get Virgin customer support reps to concede that there was in fact a problem at all - I had the phrase "there is nothing wrong with your router" repeated to me ad nauseum.

Finally, while it is currently irrelevant because I can't get internet anyway, I notice that the signal drops to 1 or 2 bars the moment I step foot out of the room the hub is in, meaning that if and when I do find a way to get internet, I'll only be able to do so in one room of my flat, whereas before this shoddy device was installed I had internet throughout my flat. In other words, this "upgrade" also includes a bonus reduction in range!! Nice one.

But don't worry guys, you can just boost the amount of money you pay Virgin every month (so says Virgin customer support), and they'll boost your signal for you...

And also don't worry guys, because you can just pay a new monthly subscription to one of their partner companies (so says Virgin customer support), who will provide you with "device management", for all those times when Virgin doesn't have a clue or give a damn about the basic functionality of their own products.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As I mentioned to you, you can access the Hub4 settings and change things. Try the changes I mentioned in the other thread and see if it helps

To login n your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return.

Also, there have been a few posts recently from Hub4 users (I have never even seen one) having problems on Android phone connections. Just do a search and see if anything on one of them helps.

This was one of them but no idea if it will help...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/APN-settings-for-data/td-p/3597569

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @GPP

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that you and your brother are struggling to connect your mobiles and your Nest device to the WiFi. I understand this must be frustrating for you.

Have you followed @jbrennand 's advice on how to access your Hub 4's settings? Did you manage to change things from there?

Please do keep us posted on how things are working for you now.

Kind regards,

Serena