cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected to wifi with no Internet

Staceycostello7
Tuning in

Hi

We are a family of 3 that rely on the Internet quite a lot. We constantly have issues though, with it dropping out, saying we are connected to wifi but with no Internet. We have an Oculus VR, 2x Xbox ones, 2x tablets, 3x phones, 3x alexas, 2x Google homes and 3x Now TV dongles!

Does anyone have a similar set up and what speeds are you guys on. Virgin just keep making me upgrade to no avail but then tell me I need to upgrade again.

Thanks for any help 😊 

14 REPLIES 14

Thank you.

Yes, it is more sustained than that, it happens often and on most/devices 😏

Is there a possibility that the build of the house is causing the issues? Most our devices are in a separate room to the router.

Yes, I definitely think I would like to follow that up. I even left completely and had signed up to a different provider when I was called by the retention team and told that if I upped my package, at extra cost, it would solve all my problems 🤣

Do you think a mesh wifi system would help?

I use a mesh wifi system, and I think they're somewhere close to sliced bread on the register of human achievement, but if your problem were a wifi reach or coverage problem, you wouldn't see the message "connected to wifi, no internet".  Because you say you have upgraded repeatedly because VM's agents have assured you that was the problem, I think it is about time to start down the mis-selling route.  I'll mark the thread for forum staff to take a look and comment, and for their benefit the outcomes I'm looking for here, are either:

1) A reliable working connection that doesn't report "wifi connected, no internet", or

2) You to be released from fixed term contract without penalty, and

3) In either case, compensation for mis-selling higher speed contracts and failure to address the underlying problem.

If they can't sort that out, then it will be another day out at CISAS for VM, where they will likely get another pasting.

Thank you so much for your help.

As I am stood here now, I literally just had the same issue happen. The Alexa disconnected and I could not get WiFi on my phone, again saying connected, no Internet! 

I don't know if you can see anything from the live graph? I noticed it at 8.20pm.

Hi Staceycostello7,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to see you are facing some connection issues where you are getting some devices saying connected with no Internet and that you feel you were advised to upgrade to solve the issue you are still facing.

I was able to locate you on our system and can see you do have WIFI issues, everything else is looking OK and all your levels are where expected.

I will be more than happy to look further into this and also look into the upgrades you mentioned, I will send you an invite into a private chat, AI will send an invite shortly, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

We also get this same issue , 

M100 package we have 3 laptops , 2 xbox's,  2mobiles , a security camara (not in use ) an alexa device , and stream from 2 TVs (not at the same time) . 

We find we can't have the  2 eldest children doing there online Homework whilst partner is working from his laptop or gaming.We have to stagger there times as not all can be connected at the same time. Our mobiles are often always connected by mobile usage as we can't rely on the WiFi connection.

The kids are often getting the message that the WiFi is connected but no Internet for connection. we've even bought a WiFi booster upstairs to help boost the signal but this doesn't work.

As for gaming it takes hours or even days for updates to complete or games to download due to interruptions or dips in the Internet. 

Its a constant battle in the house as to who can connect when or using our mobile hotspots to connect to the Internet ,rebooting the router or having to switch off devices from the power source to try and gain better connection.

It's a joke when spending £63 a month.