cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected to router but no wifi signal ?faulty router

Neils2
Joining in

Hi,

I'm having an issue with some wireless devices saying they are connected but have no internet access whilst having a full signal and connected to the router. for instance, my phone and pc will both be on wifi in the same room, but the pc is wired in and working but my phone and other devices on wifi are not. and this is only fixed by resetting the wifi connection.

I have spoken to customer services but every time the operator tries a few things then pass me to a new operator and I have to start all over again asking me to reset it and try wired connections etc which is driving me crazy.

I have used the online test and no issues where found, I have also factory reset the router but this made no difference.

Could it be my hub is faulty? 

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If the ethernet connected PC is working normally then it suggests that your issues are just wifi related.

So, can you double check check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What Hub model do you have and what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

Are wifi connections usually fine whhen you are close to the Hub and then drop off as you move further away?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Neils2,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear devices that are connected Via WIFI aren't connecting.

I have managed to locate your account with the details we have for and cannot see any issues at all, your levels all look where they should be with no errors showing.

I can see your Router hasn't been rebooted for 27 days which is usually the first thing we advise when you have any issues.

When I have run a few checks our end it is advising a pin reset on the Router just to rule out a software issue, first check all the internal connections are hand tight then push a pin/ paper clip in the back of the Router where it says reset, push in until you feel it press then hold in for a timed 1 Minute, do not reboot during or after and allow 15 Minutes to settle afterwards? 

When checking your connected devices I can see there are lots of WIFI devices currently connected however it does look like some of them have low WIFI, you can try our Connect App with this you can diagnose and fix most FIFI issues.

We also now have our Intelligent WIFI which is our new mesh system which comes with our Pods and will help cover all parts of your property.

Regards

Paul.

I have reset the router, I have used the connect app which is unable to find an issue. 

The issue is still ongoing. Multiple times per day I need to switch the wifi on and off to fix the issue so some wireless devices can reconnect. 

For a home of 2 people, we have 2 phones, 2 laptops, 3 Alexa devices, 1 smart TV, 1 computer PC. We do not have an excessive amount of items connected to the wifi and this problem has been ongoing for at least a year but I have put up with it through COVID but this issue needs to be resolved. I wanted to leave virgin and when i cancelled the contract I was promised by the retentions team that I would be sent a new router and someone would visit to check everything was working properly which has not happened. 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

you have reset the router you say and from there what have you done - have you split the wifi bands and turned off smart wifi or whatever its called on your hub - thats the 1st thing to do - you can download inSSIDer for a pc or similar on a mobile device and see what other wifi routers are around you and choose a channel on each band that has the minimum connections

the bottom line is all VM hubs are poor [at best] for wifi - they work fors some but if you run into problems for whatever reason then the solution is simple - if not free - a 3rd part wifi router or a mesh system with the hub in modem mode will solve 99% of your wifi problems

you can push for a replacement hub but if the wifi is working at all then changing the hub is highly unlikely to help

Tony.
Sacked VIP