cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected to WiFi but not the internet!!!

Dazzer21
Dialled in

I have a MacBook Pro (Intel) running Catalina which has been running perfectly well for the last 6 months I've had it. All of a sudden, it wont connect to the internet. However, the WiFi is showing as connected per normal. I can see all of the other local networks in the WiFi status (there are 10 of them). I can't even connect to the router directly (192.168.0.1).

I've powered everything down multiple times but it's had no effect. Running the Apple Wireless Diagnostics tools, it says that there is a DNS Resolution Failure. It's not particularly helpful in its instructions to resolve this. On another Mac I've checked the DNS Servers that are listed within the Network Preferences and there are two addresses on there: 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100. Are these default or rogue settings.

A previous Diagnostics test I did with an Ethernet cable also plugged in said that there may be an issue with country coding and that a specific network was singled out as being the cause of a conflict somewhere. At a loss...

4 REPLIES 4

lotharmat
Community elder
Have a look at proxy setting under network --> Advanced. (there have been a couple where a rogue proxy setting has messed with things)

Is there anything ticked in there?

The 2 DNS servers are the standard VM DNS - nothing to worry about

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is the status of the LEDs on your VM hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

The white power light is stable.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried using a manual IP address?  Just use an IP outside the Hub's DHCP scope and use Google DNS for testing, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks