cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected to Router, no internet

sprocket72
Joining in

Hello,

We've had Virgin Media as our broadband provider for many years.  I'm not one to complain often, but I have to be honest that we have never had a completely stable service.  But, to the point:

We re-joined on a new contract over the summer and was upgraded to a (I believe) a Hub 4.  It frequently drops out on ALL devices but my main issue is about two devices in particular.  All was working fine until an unexpected power cut about a week ago.  Since then I have had to reconfigure wireless for nearly all my devices (we have many connected to this Hub, laptops, desktops, security cameras and video doorbells as well as Alexa and Google Nest and a Wifi extension in her bedroom because the signal will not reach there.  I have them all back working now except two:  My daughters Xbox console and a new laptop we bought her for Christmas. Both of these devices will connect to the router but has no internet connectivity.  I have gone into the router settings but do not understand the technical aspects of the various settings, but saw nothing obvious.  It appears these two devices are being assigned IP addresses, but no internet.  Strangley, if I get close enough to the extension we have in her bedroom, it will connect.  That is not a solution has the signal is only good a few feet from from her room.  I have found numerous post on this exact topic, but all of them seemed to suggest changing the name of the wifi which I cannot do because EVERYTHING else will cease to work.

Can anyone help with this?  Calling support is useless.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Bob

14 REPLIES 14

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pinhole reset the Hub. This will remove any blacklists and set the Hub back to factory defaults. 
You also said the two devices work when connected to the bedroom extender? What model is it? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi sprocket72, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the device and this is not the experience which we want you to have with us. 

Can you confirm if you have done the pin hole reset and if you are still having this issue?

Can you confirm what the model is as per Adduxi. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

Thank you for your reply. The retailer has agreed to replace my daughters laptop to try again. I am loath to reset the router to factory settings because I have over 20 devices connected (cameras, Ring door bell, Smart TVS, gaming consoles, Alexas and Google home devices, etc.) About two weeks ago, we had a four hour power cut. Every device had to be reconnected and two of the cameras had to be dismantled from the top of house as they must be connected via RJ45 to set up again. I will wait until I receive the replacement laptop to try again.

However, in the midst of this, I did seek Virgin tech assistant (which I am sure you are aware is not easy.) They passed me on to a group called their "Gadget Restore" team. All I wanted was for someone to look at the router settings to see if that was the culprit. I spoke to a very rapidly speaking Indian lady, who I understood only about 20% of what she was saying to me. She said I would be charged to fix it as it was not Virgin equipment, obviously on a no fix/no fee basis if nothing awry was found in the router. I was passed on their remote team who requested I connect a second laptop to connect via LogMeIn. I did this for them, typed the router password let them. I watched as he did nothing but examine the settings and after about 40 minutes reported back that the laptop was faulty and he could not fix it. The next day my wife received an email with a bill and a six month subscription for gadget coverage. I almost fell out of my chair. Of all the devious underhanded ways to make a buck, this took the cake. I have been trying for two days to speak to someone in accounts to get this cancelled but have been unsuccessful, constantly being asked to go to a website.

We are very concerned and upset about this experience. We have been customers of Virgin for ten years. It was only when we informed Virgin of our intention to leave for another supplier that they offered us the exact same service with supposedly greater internet speed (a completely exaggerated claim) for HALF of what we had been paying monthly for years! How much have we been overcharged over the last ten years? Since the new Hub 4 has been installed, the internet has become more unreliable, drifting in and out two or three times a week for a few minutes at a time and we have not noticed any increase in speed.

To say the least, we have become very disillusioned with Virgin and will seek a new supplier when this contract is complete.

Thank you for your post and if you can offer any contact help, it would be very much appreciated.

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for coming back to the thread

You do need a tech visit, as some of your power levels are out of spec.

I'll send you a PM now to assist further

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi sprocket72

Thanks for joining me on PM and providing me the details to book in the tech visit for the power levels. The visit will be viewable in your online account - virg.in/myVM - within a few hours. You can cancel/amend it from there.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment
Let us know how the visit goes or if you need further assistance.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill