cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected no Internet

On our wavelength

For just over a week, and since my Broadband and TV were down for a day an upgrade (5th November), devices connected to my hub are randomly disconnecting. I get the message "connected no internet" on my mobile devices. I have optimised my hub so the 2.4 and 5ghz are separate so I have to keep switching between the two to eventually get reconnected.  I have tried resetting my router several times but the problem persists. Not only are phones and laptops disconnecting, my Google Home devices are so I have to reset them too. I contacted Customer Services on Monday 8th but the agent I spoke to didn't seem interested - he said the problem was with my devices as he could see that one device (my firestick) was connected at that time. He said if one device can connect then there wasn't a problem. He also said that I shouldn't have optimised my router for the 2 channels, however it has worked fine like this for years. So either there is a problem with every device, phone, laptop and Google Home device, or there is a problem with the hub. Can someone look into this please? Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The immediate question is, are ethernet connected devices working OK? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
If only VM went back to modems their support calls would be less.

So if you want your Wifi things in the next few days get your own router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

On our wavelength

Hi jpeg1 and thanks for your reply. Yes all devices connected by ethernet are working ok. Since I posted my wifi connected Firestick disconnected in the middle of the Wales Fiji match. Had to restart it then disconnect/reconnect. The firestick is about 30 cm from the hub so proximity isn't an issue. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

So this doesn't seem to be directly related to the day's lost service, which wouldn't affect your WiFi.  I think the first thing to try would be a factory reset of the Hub. After that you should turn off the unSmart WiFi and re-establish the separate WiFi bands as you did before.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

On our wavelength

Hi jpeg1. I've tried 2 factory resets and separating the channels back but still getting the disconnections. Could be a coincidence with the lost service. I had to reboot my hub when it came back up last week so didn't know if it was related to that. All I can say is the day before Virgin carried out the local maintenance work everything was fine and I've had these issues since. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you are still using the same Hub in the same position that doesn't leave many options.  It's just possible that you are getting interference from a new neighbouring WiFi, but you can check for that with a WiFi scanning app on your phone.  Otherwise it looks like a faulty Hub. 

You are certain that the broadband is fine over ethernet? 

- jpeg1

On our wavelength

Hi again Jpeg1 and thanks again for your reply - yes all ethernet devices seem to be ok. I've got a Hue hub attached, plus my Tivo box. As its an intermittent problem I cant say for definite the Ethernet connections are unaffected, I would have thought by now we would have seen an issue for example when using Netflix or Iplayer on the TV.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It would be worth proving the point by logging on to the Hub.  Copy and post on here (as text) the downstream, upstream and log data. 

You can check for possible dropouts by setting up a free BQM and posting here a Live Link.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

- jpeg1

On our wavelength

Update from today - problem has got progressively worse to the point it dropped out three times in 30 mins while I was on a Teams chat. Rang VM and their answer was to try another factory reset which of course hasn't worked - still getting random disconnections and "connected without Internet".