cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected, No internet on just one device (HUB3)

Jezuh
Tuning in

Hello, 

I have recently been experiencing some networking issues that I am just stumped on. 

Occasionally my laptops connection to the WIFI will just drop... The laptop remains connected to the access point but displays "Connected, No Internet". Whilst it displays "No internet" the laptop cannot reach 192.168.0.1 (router) through ping or http. 

However, what makes this confusing is other devices on my network at the time are connected just fine. This initially made me think it was an issue with the laptop itself, so I connected to another WIFI network and it works just fine.

The issue is exclusively my laptop connecting to my WIFI network. Everything else works fine. 

So far I have ran system updates in case there was a new driver for my network card. I have done a factory reset on my router. Neither of these solutions worked. 

I then rang virgin hoping they might be aware of a solution, however I just keep getting redirected to new customer support staff as each of them are as stumped as me. 

So if anyone else has a potential solution it would be greatly appreciated 🙂 

13 REPLIES 13

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can the laptop connect on both 2.4 and 5 GHz? Or is it 2.4 only?

You could try by switching smart wifi off oin the Hub3 - in its settings and see if that helps

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi, @jbrennand

So at the time of writing this my router has smart wifi enabled. 

However, I will disable this feature to see if it helps.

Annoyingly this networking issue is happening frequently but it seems to just randomly occur. So once its back online I struggle to re-create the issue to find a future fix.

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Jezuh, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community, I am sorry you are having connection issues.

Is just with your laptop? If so, how old is your laptop?

If it's just with the one device, it could be something to do with that.

Please do let me know. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matthew, 

So I believe its actually with all devices but the outages are happening at different times, I just notice it most on my laptop as I am on it 7+ hours a day for work. The other devices I use are connected through ethernet so no issue there.  

The laptop itself is only a year old, connects to every other network fine (tested with neighbours WIFI - also virgin, and with my phone as a personal hotspot). Its only my WIFI that has the issue. As mentioned before the system is UNABLE to reach 192.168.0.1 when the issue occurs, unable to browse to http://192.168.0.1:80

Internet is only resumed when connection to the 192.168.0.1 is re-established, making me think potentially this is a router issue apposed to a computer issue. 

I am technical myself and work in IT security, so I have ran necessary tests to assure there isn't anything software conflicts preventing the connection. 

I have seen a few other people in this forum experience a similar issue with HUB 3. 

Hi Jezuh,

Thanks for your reply,  I am sorry you're still having issues with your connection to your Laptop. 

I have checked your services on my side and have not been able to find any major issues with your broadband. All of your upstream/downstream levels are within spec and there has been no issues found on our health check. 

However, I understand this doesn't mean you're not still experiencing a frustrating issue. 

Can I ask if you're quite far away from the Hub when your laptop disconnects? 

Also, could you please try using the Connect App to do a broadband scan within your home to see if it can locate any WIFI weak spots?

Please let me know what it states after you've done this. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi @Megan_L,

My router sits less than 2 feet away from my laptop on the same surface as my laptop. 

I live in a small 2 Bedroom flat (router located in the centre of the flat) with the only solid walls being between myself and my neighbours so with that info and doing the scan I can confirm the issue is not related to WIFI signal. 

Hi Jezuh, thank you for coming back to us! We appreciate the additional information and feedback. 

Do you currently have Wi-Fi Optimisation enabled? This allows your devices to move freely between both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz network. 
5ghz network goes to a higher speed but at a shorter distance, so is ideal for devices in the same room as the hub, whereas the 2.4ghz network operates at a lower speed but at a higher distance. 

If you have devices stuck on the incorrect network they could be pulling the bandwidth and simulating Wi-Fi connection issues. You can have less devices working effectively on the 5ghz network.

You can check if Wi-Fi channel optimisation is enabled by heading to your advanced hub settings:

How to set up Virgin Media broadband | Virgin Media Help

If its currently off, please turn it on and let us know if this improves your coverage and connection. 

If you need support doing this just let us know and we will send you a PM to offer further support. 

All the best

Molly

Hi Molly_T,

I believe this could be this issue, 

Since another user replied to this thread about disabling the Smart WIFI option I haven't had many further outages. 

Can't say if it was directly related to that option but it seems that way. 

Are there going to be any negative outcomes from me disabling this feature? (e.g. am I still able to use 5ghz with this option disabled or will it just default to 2.4ghz)

Regards,

Jezuh

Hi Jezuh, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

We're glad to hear things are looking better for you. 

If you have disabled the 5Ghz band then this will no longer provide a connection so all devices will automatically connect to the 2.4Ghz band. This can cause some congestion so it's worth keeping an eye on things. 

If you have WiFi pods, then these will no longer work. The smart WiFi optimisation would need to be active for these to work. 

You can find further help on WiFi here

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs