cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect virgin router without modem mode

kgee1950
Joining in

I ve lost connection to my internal network whilst away from home which is extremely inconvenient since it’s the only way I can access security cameras, heating etc.
Virgin claim there’s nothing wrong with the line ( despite their online diagnostics showing a fault on more than one occasion).

The router operates in modem only mode as it’s connected to a separate Unifi gateway then on to other UniFi switches etc.

i ve had someone visit the property and reboot the router but still no connection. The router LED status is solid red so looks like it’s ok and in modem only mode.

Tech support are recommending a full reset but that would obviously restore factory settings and would need modem only mode reconfiguring which I couldn’t do remotely.

If I could get someone to do such a reset does anyone know whether my gateway is likely to pick up a new internet connection and I could just reconfigure when I get back 

9 REPLIES 9

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A full reset will put the Hub back to factory settings and back to Router mode.  This will pick up a new WAN IP, however if you can get it back to modem mode it "should" get the same WAN IP back, as the VM DHCP WAN IP's are fairly "sticky" 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
If your WAN IP changed and you did not use a DDNS then its your fault but if you are using one VM might of changed their DHCP server and your router is being blocked
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Not quite sure what you mean but yes i do use a DDNS to access some devices but others rely on outgoing traffic to servers eg Hive heating which would work whatever WAN ip address had been issued.What i am just unsure about is whether after a factory reset where the router is in standard mode will my Unifi gateway just pick up another internet connection to allow this outgoing traffic to pass.

When I am physically back home i can reconfigure it to modern only mode 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You may find modem mode not work when you get back home...

DHCP by router mode likely will work likely will not if your router use 192.168.0.x.

Do you have a hub 3?

---------------------------------------------------------------

@kgee1950 wrote:

What i am just unsure about is whether after a factory reset where the router is in standard mode will my Unifi gateway just pick up another internet connection to allow this outgoing traffic to pass.

Short answer to your question, is yes!

Well, IF a full factory reset does restore connectivity, then the hub will revert to standard mode. Assuming that your Unifi gateway’s WAN connection is setup to DHCP, which presumably it is for it to work properly in modem mode, then it will get a WAN address of (probably) 192.168.0.10. Now as long as your LAN subnet is different (ie not 192.168.0.0/24), then it all ‘should’ work. You’ll have double NAT to worry about but outgoing connections should be fine.

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

H kgee1950, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the service. 

This is not the experience which we want you to have. Can you confirm if you are still having issues with this since posting? 

Is the router back in router mode following the pin hole reset?

Kind regards, Chris.

Hi, thanks for the reply 

No it hasn’t had a complete reset yet because i m still away from home.

I’ll be back in the next few days so will check out then 

@jem101 wrote:

@kgee1950 wrote:

What i am just unsure about is whether after a factory reset where the router is in standard mode will my Unifi gateway just pick up another internet connection to allow this outgoing traffic to pass.

Short answer to your question, is yes!

Well, IF a full factory reset does restore connectivity, then the hub will revert to standard mode. Assuming that your Unifi gateway’s WAN connection is setup to DHCP, which presumably it is for it to work properly in modem mode, then it will get a WAN address of (probably) 192.168.0.10. Now as long as your LAN subnet is different (ie not 192.168.0.0/24), then it all ‘should’ work. You’ll have double NAT to worry about but outgoing connections should be fine.

192.168.0.10 is not a WAN IP address. If the hub is reset its DHCP server will assign IP addresses in the reservation range which, for my hub 3, starts at 192.168.0.10. If the Unify's IP address is not in the same range as your hub's nothing will work.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I think most who work away have felt your pain. In my case I  have been installing corporate networks in China, Philippines  Taiwan,  Japan, Middle East and all over Europe when things have gone **bleep** up on the simple home network that has caused serious domestic disharmony.

My cable Internet connectivity has always been modem/mode with a NAT router since my connection from telewest pre dates his and all you received was a modem  beyond that was your responsibility.

So my lessons learned. Implemented DDNS on your router and DNS, in my case my router is actually a pfsense appliance and I use he.net for dns  and set up DDNS  within the pfsense. Prior to that I had netgear firewalls with the home lan being within the corporate network and vpn connection resulting in me being able to access home wherever I was working. However when I  was asked to work on third party sites I then had to use 3g tethering so moved to pfsense to give more functionality.

Next set up a vpn service to access the home lan. I use openvpn for Road warrior connectivity. Again this can be a problem if locally you are on a restricted network.

For your principal lan devices connect them to a kvm. I use pikvm to front a hdmi switch. So 8 of my none ipmi devices get console access. Pikvm has a static ip address.

All ipmi stuff is static with a fallback of the same address configured on dhcp from the pfsense.

Next many of my home devices are electrically connected via home built smart switches or sonoff all flashed with Tasmota and connected to openhab. This means I can connect and manage each switch via the openvpn/ browser. Or internet manage with openhab cloud.

Lastly I have a number of servers hosted on the Internet. These in turn are vpn connected into the home network. Meaning ic gor dome reason I cannot get in directly. I can connect to an external server which should allow me in.

And finally. I have a 4g modem connected  so if VM does a serious fail. I still have some connection.

Trying to do anything with VM hubs in the way is a fools errand. Turn on modem mode

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky