Menu
bjgraham1963
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Connect dumb TO Link switch to Superhub 3.0

Hi - I have previously had this working but had to reset my superb 3.0 and now cannot get device connected to my dumb TP-Link switch to work. I have an Apple Mac connected to a Superhub 3.0.

I have a network cable running from my superb to my TP-Link TL-SG1008D switch, and devices connected from the switch. I see green lights flashing rapidly on the switch (as they used to), but the devices will not connect to the internet. I have the Switch set to 'Router' mode, and can connect devices wirelessly, but have need to connect several more than the 4 devices that the Superhub provides for on the back of the unit, hence my fitting of a dumb switch. 

Any ideas where I;m going wrong please?

Many thx in advance.

0 Kudos
bjgraham1963
Joining in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connect dumb TO Link switch to Superhub 3.0

PS - I have shut everything down and rebooted everything back up, still no joy
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I am a bit confused when you say you have set the switch to router mode, if it is a dumb layer 2 switch, it shouldn't have a router mode, as it should not have any routing functions.

0 Kudos
ShortChangeZero
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have checked and your switch is unmanaged which means it should act at layer 2 meaning it won't broadcast DHCP and should require no configuration. On your clients connected via Ethernet are you getting an IP address? Does this fall in the same subnet as the router is advertising?

Quick Check, plug a laptop or desktop in via cable and open cmd, look at the output of the command "ipconfig", if your address starts 169.x.x.x then you know it is a DHCP issue with the router, I would advise resetting the Superhub at this point (pinhole reset). 

If you are getting a address and gateway take a look at the values, by default the Superhub uses 192.168.0.0/24 meaning your default gateway should be 192.168.0.1, if it something else then there is likely another device on your network broadcasting. 

If this is the case unplug everything and start with just Router-Switch-Laptop.

0 Kudos
bjgraham1963
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

apols Griffin, I meant the Superb is set to 'router' mode ...
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Their are posts about switches not working with the hub 3.

try connecting the switch to the hub and only one device to the switch to see if that works.

you may need to use modem mode and get your own router with 1Gb posts.

0 Kudos
bjgraham1963
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

hi legacy1 - i connected the switch to one device (the laptop) and it connects to the internet Smiley Happy I had previously rebooted the Superb at the suggestion of Shotchangezero.

Why does it work with one device connected to the Superhub via the switch and not when others are connected, or will it now? I checked the connection on the Mac I'm using and it shows:
Ethernet connected using DHCP on 192.168.0.16, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and router 192.168.0.1
Any suggestions as to why it works now, and will it support more devices plugged into the switch?
Thanks you all.
B

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@bjgraham1963 wrote:
Any suggestions as to why it works now, and will it support more devices plugged into the switch?

You can give it a go but I think VM may be limiting the number of MAC's per port to not support people wanting more devices by a switch but of course we don't know that for sure.

So if needed get yourself a router and just use modem mode.

0 Kudos
bjgraham1963
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

tried connecting Smart TV, would not work. Looked at SmartTV network connections and it say:
IP Setting - get automatically
IP Address 169.254.nnn.nnn (where nn. is a number)
Gateway 0.0.0.0
DNS server - get automatically
DNS Server - 0.0.0.0

...does that tell you anything? The other couple pf device hardwired into the Switch are working fine now.
Thx, B
0 Kudos
bjgraham1963
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Have just reset SmartTV network settings and it still will not connect via switch. Shows:
IP Address 169.254.nnn.nnn (where nnn. is a number)
Subnte mask 255.255.00
Gateway 0.0.0.0
DNS server - get automatically
DNS Server - 0.0.0.0
0 Kudos