cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect app hub 5

BobbyW
Dialled in

Connect app is highly unreliable, paused devices and then the app can't find the hub 

8 REPLIES 8

notdodgy
Up to speed

You are correct - app is unreliable - claims it cannot find the hub, when the phone is actually connected to it.

Hi both,

Have you tried restarting the hub and the device you're using to connect?

I do not work for VM. Qualified IT Technician. Virgin Volt Bundle - 1Gig, Hub 5 Modem Mode & ASUS GT-AXE16000, 2x Tivo V6's. VM customer for over 6 years.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi BobbyW, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with the app detecting your hub. 

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with the Connect App recognising your hub. 

The first thing to be aware of is you need to be connected to your Home WiFi in order for the app to connect to the Hub. It won't allow the connection if you're on a Guest network, VPN or Mobile data. If this still doesn't help, try clearing the data within the Connect App. These steps will help you do that: 

• For your Apple device, you can try this: Open Settings > Tap your name > Tap iCloud > Tap Manage Settings > Tap the Connect App > Tap Delete Data.
  • For your Android device, you can try this: Open settings > Apps > Connect App > Storage > Clear data / Clear cache.

If this also fails then we currently have a known error with some of the data in our systems, that is causing the app to not recognise the Hub in a minority of instances. We are already investigating this as a high priority. 

Pop back and keep us posted. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I suggest your "known error" is the issue.

As an end user I am getting fed up with support advice that isn't relevant.

Following the suggested actions won't help if you are definitely connected and you can log in to the router from the same device,  its not a network or wifi or vpn issue.

When closing and reopening the app will sometimes get you connected. Then it's not a cache issue.

Sounds like your backend servers are failing to communicate. Perhaps they need a network upgrade. 

Your network partner O2 is also good at the unhelpful recommended actions for problems when their network is unusable.

Faulty mast - restart your phone. 

Congested network - clear your networking settings.

A second sim in the same phone works perfectly.

My point being that sometimes the only thing that actually works is changing to a different network.

Hi Notdodgy,

Have you followed the steps given by the advisor, eg clearing data?

The advice given is directly relevant to this situation. If you're not willing to accept advice or support given then this is the wrong place for you. Everyone here is just trying to help.

If you want to change network, i can give you relevant advice to do this.

I do not work for VM. Qualified IT Technician. Virgin Volt Bundle - 1Gig, Hub 5 Modem Mode & ASUS GT-AXE16000, 2x Tivo V6's. VM customer for over 6 years.

Yes I followed advice to find it did not work.

When the problem is intermittent or on some core network equipment there is a chance that any unrelated actions told to users may appear to have worked. This is pure coincidence.

I speak as someone with an Honours degree in Computer Science and 30 plus years of networking including management of the UKs first ever broadband network.

The scripts used by support staff are not always right and usually fall into the category of turn it off and on again.

Hi there,

Okay - if the above steps didn't work all you can do is wait for them to resolve the issue.

I understand in relation to scripts - But 9 times out of ten, restarting things or starting from scratch normally fixes the problem. You should know this as someone with an Honours degree in Computer Science and 30 plus years of networking experiance?

We're not talking about core network equipment here. Apps work sometimes, sometimes they don't. I get hit and miss speedtest attempts with Sam Knows, doesn't mean their system is crap.

I appreciate your frustration but just remember, we're trying to help.

Badly written software!!

My brother worked on anti-lock braking software.10% looked after braking. 90% was dealing with reliability and fault scenarios. 

Rather than fix the software just ask people to keep trying. 

My original issue is resolved - it improved significantly after an engineer changed the splitter.

If it fails to connect, closing and reopening the App usually works.