Menu
Deepthought
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Connect App optimisation

I used to have a fairly stable WiFi with speedtest reporting almost 200Mbps from my iPad and iPhone and uploads of over 20Mbps. The WiFi was very usable throughout the house except in the conservatory where the signal is weakest. So encouraged by wonderful TV adverts I thought I would try and improve coverage in my conservatory. I installed the VirginMedia Connect app. I did a scan near the Hub3 and in various places and the app did not initially report any problems, even in the conservatory. At the end of the process the app offered to “optimise” the Hub3 settings, and it seemed sensible to allow this.

All seemed well until the following morning when I found my iPad had a very slow connection. I therefore ran the Connect app scan again. Holding the iPad inches from the Hub3 the app reported a difficulty and cheerily offered to reboot the hub to get a better connection. After the reboot all seemed well, until a few hours later when the experience was repeated again, and again.....

I tried a speed test using my iPad. After several “failed to connect” errors I eventually obtained a few readings of less than 10Mbps download.  If I switch the iPad to airplane mode for a few seconds and then reconnect I find I can achieve speeds of 20 to 40Mbps, but still nowhere near my usual 190-200Mbps.

My elderly Ethernet connected laptop maxed out at 20Mbps which is normal for it. BBC iPlayer locked up and stuttered on Chromecast TV, but streamed perfectly on the Humax. The problem is therefore probably WiFi. Spotify on Google home devices drop out and stutters. Reset the smart speaker and it plays ok for a while then drops out again.

After some difficulty I connected to the Hub3 and initiated a diagnostic test.

Gateway IPv4 address is valid.

Your broadband connection is working.

The temperature of your Hub 3.0 is normal.

The status of telephone line 1 is not ready.

The status of telephone line 2 is not ready.

The device xxxxxxx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.

The device xxxxxxxx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.

The device xxxxxxxxx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.

The device xxxxxxxx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.

Please place your WiFi device near the Hub 3.0

Interestingly, all the devices with low signal strength are connected at 5Ghz. This includes the iPad situated within inches of the Hub3 at the time. I am not sure what device is indicated in the last entry.

I then navigated to the Hub3 ConnectedDevices page.

Device name

MAC address

IP address

Speed (Mbps)

Connected to

Google Home Mini Bedroom

192.168.0.21/24

Wireless frequency 5 GHz SSID

Google Home Lounge

192.168.0.20/24

I/p Phone

192.168.0.16/24

Ethernet SSID

Chromecast TV

192.168.0.11/24

Wireless frequency 2.4 GHz SSID

Google Home Mini Garden

192.168.0.14/24

Google Home Mini Den

192.168.0.22/24

Google Home Mini Kitchen

192.168.0.19/24

Chromecast Audio Soundbar?

192.168.0.13/24

Chromecast Audio Den

192.168.0.15/24

Chromecast Audio Kitchen?

192.168.0.17/24

Nest Thermostat

192.168.0.12/24

Old iPad

192.168.0.25/24

Nest Smoke Alarm

192.168.0.27/24

new-iPad

192.168.0.23/24

iPhone B

192.168.0.26/24

iPhone A

192.168.0.24/24

Again I note that only Ethernet connected devices and those connected to the 2.4 GHz band show greater than zero speed. All the 5Ghz devices connected at 0 Mbps. After a reboot these speeds are more sensible, although I am not sure how the figures are derived. Is the speed figure an average over time, or a spot measurement, or perhaps some sort of speed cap with the intention of favouring faster devices?

In addition to slow speeds on the iPad. Playing Spotify streams on Google home mini. Random pauses, Reports no internet connection. Switched Google Home mini off and on. It probably obtains a new IP address, works ok for a while until it drops out again - same issue with Chromecast TV, but no problem with streaming BBC iPlayer on Ethernet connected YouView Humax device.

I have disabled Smart WiFi setting with no discernible difference.

My internet research reveals many reports of poor WiFi with the Hub3. Nobody seems to have a good word to say about it with many people purchasing additional equipment for WiFi and switching to modem mode.

All I really need is to return to the situation before my hub was “optimised”.

Suggestions anyone?

I am tempted to try one of the mesh systems, they are expensive, but it might pay to future proof my network to support my burgeoning internet of things.

Has anyone got experience of mesh networks with the Hub3? If so which model is recommended?

I have some old routers, I could set up one of these connected to the hub with modem mode. Or maybe buy a new router for this. Any thoughts?

If the optimisation software enables the Hub3 to switch channels to avoid neighbouring signals, what happens when several neighbouring hubs are all competing. They will surely achieve chaos by continually switching around to avoid each other. This must be a problem with only two adjacent hubs, it would be exponentially multiplied with three or even four hubs near to each other in flats for example. Has Virgin Media accounted for this?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connect App optimisation

Hello Deepthought

If you have disabled Smart WiFi this would have reverted things back to before it. If things have not improved an option would be to factory reset the hub, this can be done via the pinhole on the back of it.

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos