Menu
JC100
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Confused...new router needed or not?

Been a Virgin broadband customer for years, have always loved it.  Been in current house for 7 years and again overall it's always been good. However last August, I started to notice service issues, at first it was buffering during iPlayer, but by October it was total loss of connection and by November the connection drop outs were very, very regular, by mid-November it was getting ridiculous and so I was beginning discover was Virgin Customer Services when you have a problem.  Back in November I was told my service issues were to do with the extra demand in the area (lots of new houses recently built) and that they were upgrading the services to cope with the extra demand, good I thought, except they said the work wouldn't be completed by April 2018, so I waited patiently, after Christmas service seemed to improve a little but I still felt like I was having far too many occasions where I would lose connection.  Last couple of weeks its back to being up, down, up, down every day.  Customer Service & Faults team can't seem to help at all, I spent 3 hours on the phone on Monday and got no-where.  So I'm now researching myself what could be the issue and solution, hence me joining this forum.  My issue is not speed, it's reliability, I work from home and so I need a fast, stable connection.  My speed is fabulous, ran some tests earlier today and the speed tests were 180 - 220Mbps and my ping speed is 7ms, so when my connection is up, it's fab, but if course when it's down, it's down.  So I've been reading that the SuperHubs that VM supply are well, pretty crap, so my question is...would my issues be resolved by buying my own 3rd party wireless router or are these only for people with weak wi-fi signal?  I live in a small 2 bed cottage, all rooms on the same level, so my issue as I say is not speed and it's not wi-fi range either, it's just dropping connection.  I'll admit I've not tested yet, whether the issues I'm having are all wi-fi related and whether I can still get a connection if I connect with an ethernet cable. I will test that over the next couple of weeks next time I have an outage.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Confused...new router needed or not?

Test the internet connection on ethernet cable and report back. 

If that is stable then it may be that the SH2 wifi components are failing.   But It could also be a VM connection problem - but if the techies have checked it out, that may not be the case.  You could always post your router's upstream, downstream & network logs to confirm that on here - easy to do. There could also be a local wifi interference issues e.g. neighbour has done summat with his wifi that is interfering with yours.

I have a SH2 too and it's a great modem but its wifi abilities are - shall we say - limited.  I have always used it in modem mode with my own wifi router - an Apple Airport Extreme which has been brilliant.  Tested again tonight and getting 218Mbps and connection in all rooms are excellent (I have an Express upstairs to extend the network).   IMO that's always the best solution - mine supports >10 devices continually connect and with heavy usage.  So I would always buy a good quality 3d party wifi router as it will provide more stable and customisable wifi and the range should be improved too. 

However, if the SH2 wifi is failing VM will (eventually) replace it with a Hub3 and that should also solve your current issue.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
JC100
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - forgot to say earlier, Virgin replaced my old SuperHub 2.0 with a SuperHub 3.0 earlier this year, around March/April.  It has been better since then but last couple of weeks I've regular problems again. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@JC100 wrote:

Thanks - forgot to say earlier, Virgin replaced my old SuperHub 2.0 with a SuperHub 3.0 earlier this year, around March/April.  It has been better since then but last couple of weeks I've regular problems again. 

Ahhhh have you done this yet then ? (my standard blurb)

-----------

Many wifi problems on the VM Hub3 are caused by it Auto-assigning the same ssid “name” to its 2.4 & 5 GHz frequency networks.  This “confuses” many devices as they can continually flit from one to t’other.   So the first job is to change that:-

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1 in your browser
  • Login with the default login info (it’s on the sticker on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it !
  • Once logged in, go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
  • Under “Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz”  - change the wifi Network Name (SSID) in the box to summat you like...   xxxxx2G - and also the wifi password (network key) to one you like and will remember!
  • Repeat this  procedure for the “Wireless Frequency 5GHz” (call it xxxxx5G to distinguish it) use  the same password to keep it simple.
  • click on Apply changes. Log out and reboot the Hub3

Now all your devices should “see” the 2 individual networks and so you can connect to just one of them.  The 5GHz one is usually best for being more stable and subject to less interference.  Its range may be less than the 2.4 though.

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
JC100
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - I'll shall give that a go and will report back.  This kind of rings a bell now.  Last year, Virgin said they would split my connection and so I had a 2Ghz and a 5GHz network, and that when I had problems with one, that I should move to the other one.  At the time I had not a clue what they were talking about, but I've been trying to learn about all this stuff today, so I now understand that these are frequencies/channels that are better suited for different tasks. So back then, when I clicked on the Wi-Fi symbol (on my MacBook) it would show both like this, VM Network name - 2g, VM Network name - 5g, but I no longer see these, I now just see my VM Network name, so I'm guessing that when the SH3.0 was installed I lost this.  Is it better to have this?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes deffo split the Networks as I have posted.  The 5 GHz one is subject to much less interference from other sources and is usually the best one to connect to.  It's "range" is more limited than the 2.4 Network though - hence one reason for having a more powerful 3d party wifi router if you want more "range" on the 5GHz network.

Once your networks are identifiably differentiated test them individually and select the one that works best for you - may of course be different for different devices and locations.

Look forward to your update when you have had a play.

--------------------
sapper_arj
Superfast
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to Hi-jack the thread, but it seems an obvious question.

Which third party router would you recomend for general usage with probalbe 4K  streaming in the near future, though I will almost certainly connect via cable for erious streaming usage on the Apple TV etc.

A.

0 Kudos
JC100
Tuning in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again - this is all beginning to make some sense now at last!   I've just managed to log onto my VMSH3.0 (for the very 1st time).  Not changed anything, just had a look around the menus and current settings.  It would appear that I have both the 2.4GHz & 5GHz options available to me, but my devices are connecting to the 2.4Ghz.  I also had a look in the Network Logs, which were completing baffling to me as a newbie (these are for another day I think), all I could pick up was that this error message appeared a lot -  No Ranging Response received.   I have a VM engineer coming out Monday afternoon, so I'm going to sit tight and not change anything until I speak to the engineer on Monday, but unless they find an actually issue with the actual connection to my house, then I will put my SH3 into modem mode and will try my own wireless router. In preparation,  I've purchased the TP Link AC 1750 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router and it arrives tomorrow.  I know a lot of the more technically minded folks on this forum would probably recommend an Asus router, but the TP Link looks like it's geared more towards the likes of me (non-techie), nice app for your iphone to connect to the router which I thought would be useful, reasonable price, looks ok and it got fantastic reviews on Amazon from people with very similar sounding issues to what I'm experiencing.  So I at least now feel hopeful now that there might be a solution out there to my internet woes.  I wish I'd joined this forum months ago!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@JC100 wrote:

Thanks again - this is all beginning to make some sense now at last!   I've just managed to log onto my VMSH3.0 (for the very 1st time).  Not changed anything, just had a look around the menus and current settings.  It would appear that I have both the 2.4GHz & 5GHz options available to me, but my devices are connecting to the 2.4Ghz.  I also had a look in the Network Logs, which were completing baffling to me as a newbie (these are for another day I think), all I could pick up was that this error message appeared a lot -  No Ranging Response received.   I have a VM engineer coming out Monday afternoon, so I'm going to sit tight and not change anything until I speak to the engineer on Monday, but unless they find an actually issue with the actual connection to my house, then I will put my SH3 into modem mode and will try my own wireless router. In preparation,  I've purchased the TP Link AC 1750 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router and it arrives tomorrow.  I know a lot of the more technically minded folks on this forum would probably recommend an Asus router, but the TP Link looks like it's geared more towards the likes of me (non-techie), nice app for your iphone to connect to the router which I thought would be useful, reasonable price, looks ok and it got fantastic reviews on Amazon from people with very similar sounding issues to what I'm experiencing.  So I at least now feel hopeful now that there might be a solution out there to my internet woes.  I wish I'd joined this forum months ago!

Welcome - happy to help.  The router choice looks good and for a good price £68 ?  Report back when you have it set up.

--------------------
jbrennand
Legend
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Nice recent review of this router on Amazon

Style: AC1750 Mbps Gigabit Dual Band|Verified Purchase

After having issues with buffering whilst streaming programmes via an Amazon Fire box, I started to look into how to resolve the issue.
We are on Virgin Media 200mb broadband so we have enough speed, I tried upgrading the ethernet cables to Cat 7 and that helped,
However I read that it is actually the routers that are supplied for free, they really just can't keep up with having too many devices and so I looked into a better router.
The TP-Link AC1750 seemed to be the best choice, not cheap but not too expensive and so I purchased it!
I put the Virgin Media Hub into router mode and connected an ethernet lead through to the TP-Link AC1750, that way the VM router isn't doing any work except for passing through to the TP Link router!
Since doing this we have not had any buffering and in fact have managed to stream 4k from the Amazon Fire box.
Not only that but the options available on this router compared to the standard one supplied with broadband packages is amazing, QOS or Quality of Service means you can prioritise certain devices and the Parental controls are very good as well.
I highly recommend purchasing another router and seeing what your broadband is actually capable of!

--------------------