Menu
JC100
Tuning in
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Confused...new router needed or not?

So, it's been 2.5 weeks since I put my VM SH 3.0 into modem mode and set up my new 3rd party wireless router (TP Link AC1750) and I am super pleased to say that I've not had any service outages since I set the TP Link router up.  I've also been monitoring my speeds using the Ookla Speedtest app and I'm typically getting over 200Mbps.  So, still early days, but it's looking good so far.   So just wanted to say a big thank you to the helpful people on this forum as without this forum, I would not have found out about this solution.   The TP Link AC1750 was extremely easy to set up it was £69 from Amazon.

Ashtonjay
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

was this easy to set up?

im thinking of getting one
0 Kudos
mandy5643
Tuning in
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Is this still working well?

What kind of speeds do you get through walls?

@JC100 wrote:

So, it's been 2.5 weeks since I put my VM SH 3.0 into modem mode and set up my new 3rd party wireless router (TP Link AC1750) and I am super pleased to say that I've not had any service outages since I set the TP Link router up.  I've also been monitoring my speeds using the Ookla Speedtest app and I'm typically getting over 200Mbps.  So, still early days, but it's looking good so far.   So just wanted to say a big thank you to the helpful people on this forum as without this forum, I would not have found out about this solution.   The TP Link AC1750 was extremely easy to set up it was £69 from Amazon.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Wireless attenuation through wall will depend hugely on the thickness, construction, moisture content and materials used, so there is no universal answer.

i.e. a 75mm plasterboard stud partition wall will halve the signal strength at least, whilst a 200mm thick concrete block wall will attenuate the signal by around 99%

0 Kudos
mandy5643
Tuning in
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Oh right , does this apply to mesh systems as well ?

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes, as they affect the wireless signal itself.

EDIT
It would be worth reading Seph's sticky at the top of the board.

0 Kudos
mandy5643
Tuning in
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Oh okay , just asking as I’m debating whether to get the Velop Mesh system or w new router to get better WiFi 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Icemen
Joining in
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

My main question is is this new router performing better then the super hub 3.0 on it own? e.g. is it giving better wifi range and speed?

0 Kudos
mandy5643
Tuning in
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi, in in the end I brought a NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Whole Home WiFi System - Twin Pack :

The Orbi

And my God was it worth it!

It took a while to set up and after using a WiFi analyser I have selected clear channels for the Orbi, It covers my entire house and garden and half way down the road! Seriously its a lot of money but it's very much worth it, I get about 250-350 mps wireless with this, much better than before where with the Hub 3 I got 80mps wireless. 

The Orbi has a create app to control everything and they are very modern and sleek to look at!

I have the Orbi in my room while I have the other downstairs in my living room, this covers the garden, cellar, atic room and both floors at excellent speeds. I also have the Orbi connected to my PC via Ethernet, giving me 390mps  ; I also have it connected to a TP-link switch which is connected to and xbox and TV, this ensures I have high wireless speeds. 

The AC3000 version is much better than the AC2200 version for me as I have the top Virgin package, I was lucky enough to get my Orbi brand new for £200 on gumtree! With 36 devices connected to it and never any lag, I could'nt be more happy!

Iphone pic = speeds wireless

IMG_2259.jpg

Screenshot (6).png

0 Kudos